Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
FDA
(01-18-2024, 11:08 AM)sauerkraut Wrote: ^^^

I don't quite understand how medical devices (and I'd argue that CPAP is life sustaining technology) got such low attention from the FDA, until recently.  It is true that it's easier to flag something that is shown to provide immediate harm.  Once a few reports of a bad food item get logged, it gets quickly investigated.  The same with faulty car or drug medication reports.  But the hundreds (or thousands) of reports sent to Philips seems to have ended there.  

Plus, it shouldn't have taken all those reports to Philips to get a reaction from the FDA.  Just because faulty foam issues have longer-term negative health consequences shouldn't make it a low priority. Philips was able to shield themselves by saying something like "prove that we've caused those health issues".

I'm sure we're seeing a new FDA now, when it comes to CPAP-related items anyway.  Anything with lower risks of harm is getting flagged now, such as all masks using quick release magnets.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS
Philips

Philips Patient management platforms Encore Anywhere & Care Orchestra have been hacked. 

On November 2, 2023, our ongoing investigation confirmed that an unauthorized party exploited the MOVit software vulnerability and extracted files on May 31, 2023. After further analysis, on December 1, 2023, we determined that some of your information potentially was involved in this incident. This data may include your name, address, date of birth, email address, phone number, patient ID, facility ID, device serial number, modem serial number, physician and device usage.

Please view Nicko's video covering this ongoing story:

Philips Data Breach! Be On High Alert For Scams (youtube.com)
Post Reply Post Reply
PHILIPS RESPIRONICS END-USER DATA BREACH
(01-18-2024, 01:24 PM)btreger Wrote: ^^^

Without trying to be overly cynical, are the followers of this thread really that surprised by yet another negative Philips event notice?

It's for exactly this reason that I've always tried to disconnect from the Philips (or other) cloud.  When forced, I'll use inaccurate DOB, etc.  However, there are times when many xPAP users have no choice (insurance, monitoring, etc.).  After the first few years, I decided to just disconnect any modems on xPAP devices.  For well-trained scammers, personal data can be quite valuable and convincing.

Quote:On November 2, 2023, our ongoing investigation confirmed that an unauthorized party exploited the MOVit software vulnerability and extracted files on May 31, 2023. After further analysis, on December 1, 2023, we determined that some of your information potentially was involved in this incident.

It took Philips five months to analyze the breach to confirm that it indeed was a hack?  Aren't companies often fined now for that relaxed slow response to their customer data breaches?  

Might Philips have delayed their public response to a future time to not prejudice the judgement of the Recall Class Action?  
Did Philips intentionally delay notifying the public to a better financial quarter, or better time to have less impact on its stock price?  
If we were talking about any other company, that might be a reach, but let's just be reminded of the corporate executive culture that has existed at Philips.
Post Reply Post Reply
(It took Philips FIVE MONTHS to analyze the breach to confirm that it indeed was a hack?)

WakeUpTime;
Just one more example of the level of Disregard/Disdain philips has for the customer/End User of their products !!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2024, 11:33 PM)sauerkraut Wrote: (It took Philips FIVE MONTHS to analyze the breach to confirm that it indeed was a hack?)

WakeUpTime;
"Just one more example of the level of Disregard/Disdain philips has for the customer/End User of their products"

Look no farther than the DS1 vs DS2. On the former, my first move was to turn off the installed modem and utilize software to download my unencrypted data. On the latter, there's no way to turn off the installed modem (to my knowledge) and we're having to use specialized software (thank you developers) to access our own information. We're a cash source, the milk giving cow, nothing more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tampa Jim;
The list continues to get longer !!
I can only hope that making an example out of philips respironics .. Maybe even forcing them
into bankruptcy .. Causes the rest of the companies building this equipment to pay attention 
and operate with the customer/end users best interests in mind !!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2024, 11:52 AM)sauerkraut Wrote: Tampa Jim;
The list continues to get longer !!
I can only hope that making an example out of philips respironics .. Maybe even forcing them
into bankruptcy .. Causes the rest of the companies building this equipment to pay attention 
and operate with the customer/end users best interests in mind !!

Philips/respironics is bankrupt, morally bankrupt, has been for decades regardless of what spin Jerry McGinnis wants to put on it. Decisions have always been about money. When Jerry ran the place fixing problems was all about the money. Hurt a customer and it will cost money. Hurt a bunch of customers and it will cost more money. If you're morally bankrupt you can convince yourself and others that ehhhh it's only a few people and we did everything right so let 'em eat foam dust. Pretty obvious from the court filings that the parent company will burn down resp in bankruptcy and move on if they can get away with it. 

Been 18 months of consent decree negotiations with the DOJ.....must be worlds apart to take this long. Time for the DOJ to man up and file some criminal charges against the individual(s) who made the executive level decisions to sell an illegal product. There won't be any industry wide changes in "morality" until the companies, and especially the specific people, who disregard the US CFRs are held criminally liable. Let's see how the GAO deals with the failures at FDA.
Post Reply Post Reply
TimaaaaaaaahRocks;
I can only Agree !!
Post Reply Post Reply
TimaaaahRocks, you live within 6-miles of my location. We should grab a beer sometime. Maybe meet at D's Six Pack and Dogs and meet Fetterman who is apparently a regular and doing a good imitation of becoming one of us.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note: This is a continuation of a previous post

Philips Data Breach Exposes Patients To Medicare Fraud

In mid-2023, Philips was notified of a security vulnerability that affected  Care Orchestra and Encore Anywhere, the two patient management platforms used by clinicians and DMEs to monitor patients remotely and bill insurance providers for supplies, etc. 

After a lengthy investigation, Philips found that hackers had exploited the vulnerability and accessed the database that included your name, address, date of birth, email address, phone number, patient ID, facility ID, device serial number, modem serial number, physician and device usage.

They have not mentioned that medical insurance information was accessed; this is only speculation now.  

Philips Data Breach Exposes Patients To Medicare Fraud (youtube.com)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 65 2,967 56 minutes ago
Last Post: hwnboy
  Tobiathan therapy thread tobiathan 36 1,627 10 hours ago
Last Post: tobiathan
  Jayhyouk Oh - Therapy Thread Jayhyouk Oh 17 795 Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jayhyouk Oh
  [Treatment] NightmaresOfTheBottom - Therapy Help Thread NightmaresOfTheBottom 12 436 10-20-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 138 6,100 10-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Abdulfakih
  GarlicMassage's Therapy Thread GarlicMassage 18 1,963 10-18-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: GarlicMassage
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,252 10-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.