Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events?
RE: OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events?
Hi Santino

Still same here, you need 8 cm, no EPR, give it a try.

Wondering if you have gas or acid in esophagus feeling? Hearburn?

Aerophagia can be caused by not relaxing during breathing as well.

Try some breathing exercises, check out Patrick McKeown.

I know you are close now with 8 cm, but keep EPR off otherwise we will not be able to see the effect of higher exhalation pressure on your obstructive events.

Need to get a handle on the obstructive.

Collar will give a good idea where to go next.....

agree?

Questions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events?
(10-05-2024, 09:31 AM)Santino Wrote: ... but I did experience some aerophagia again. My subjective feeling of restfulness feels about the same--not great. ... 

I might remember waking up gasping or something? 

Your gasping feeling is probably caused by your high flow limit, which can be mitigated by increasing your pressure. If you want to stick with CPAP, then you should raise your pressure to 9 cm. However, APAP (you have a more advanced device than CPAP) flexibly adjusts your pressure when you need more air and gasping. Therefore, APA would be a better choice.   
Higher EPR mitigates aerophagia. You can try EPR=2, full time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Santino

yes, preceded by irregular breathing, same for me, and i would think most obstructive.

If they come right out of the blue and long, possibly/probably positional, keep an eye on the flowrate, when it gets real LOW.

Sleep Hygiene
This cannot be overlooked....

A steady breathing state before putting mask on

no tv before bed, keep it to 1 hr, that's what i do, i fall asleep in seconds some time.

No food 2 hrs before bed, flexible time here, most say it matters

Alcohol, keep it minimum before sleep

Exercise, this is a big one!  Need to get into a state of CO2 creation, which allows oxygen to be transferred from air to blood, then from blood to cells in your body, including the Brain!

For me, its all about that balance, and then some sense can be made about the Charts .

Its hard, i know, sometimes, life is crazy really!
But we need to make time for ourselves, our bodies, our souls!

A Breathing Disorder got us into this apnea and CPAP world

Re-Learning to Breathe can get us out, or at least functioning much better while using CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
SeePak - Thanks. I am hesitant to turn off EPR entirely just yet due to the aerophagia. I suspect my body may just need some more time to adjust to the higher average pressure. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling pain in my stomach and needing to burp and pass gas. In the morning, though, I was fine.

I agree that cervical collar is the logical next step to see if I can confirm or rule out positional apnea and then go from there. Another reason I’m hesitant to change my settings again yet is because I’m trying to just change one variable at a time to isolate the effect.

Thanks also for the tips on sleep hygiene, but I don’t think that’s the issue here as I’ve had that stuff dialed in long ago. Last night I think it was likely the aerophagia that caused me to have trouble falling back asleep for awhile.

G. Szabo - Sorry if I wasn’t clear—what I’m saying is that I DON’T ever remember waking up gasping, which is surprising to me given the occasional very long duration of some of the OAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing I don't know if I suggested  is oro functional therapy which includes swallowing and tongue exercises uvula raises and that will help with the swallow reflex which can be a very big contributor to aerophagia
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry should have read Oro facial myofunctional therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, I will look into that. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the same issue and I also have had trouble swallowing in the past I've also had burning sometimes in my esophagus and also I used to get like a lump in the throat type thing all these things were due to reduce sleep and other issues with muscles in my throat and neck.

Just a few exercises and you can make it a lot better I stopped doing them now for about a week but I'm going to be doing them again

But breath work breathing exercises that's number one
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised Help Interpreting Oscar data HN2207 14 409 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: HN2207
  [CPAP] Please help understanding OSCAR data; AHI 5.5 and still drowsy -_- twomashi 6 265 Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Last Post: twomashi
  New member looking for Oscar data help mttm 18 645 Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Last Post: mttm
  Help analyzing Oscar data Rosebearjoey 7 168 10-05-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Help - not feeling rested in the morning! jc1996 3 188 10-05-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data richardb123 8 475 10-05-2024, 08:37 AM
Last Post: richardb123
  [Treatment] Advice with OSCAR Data sploomb 3 215 10-04-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.