Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR expert needed - out of things to try....
RE: OSCAR expert needed - out of things to try....
I am seeing a good number of flow limits that are not being caught and resulting in arousal. Your last zoom is a good example of this.
Typically a 3-minute view will provide the appropriate length zoom except for a few circumstances.

Can you include/import your ring data so we can see it along with your OSCAR data. No issue with your leaks. so move up your FL and SO2 charts. Limit the Flow rate chart to +/- 75 on the vertical scale.

What other than apnea do you have going on? It is possible that you will find a BiLevel (VAuto) better for you and I'd start that with a min EPAP of 4 and a PS of 4 which should help some. As you know your numbers don't indicate this. Also an indicated O2 Desat of 90 MAYBE, not will, be significant for you. So do include the full report from your ring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2023, 10:59 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: awesome, thanks. can we get a snapshot of the 16 minute chunk of the latest post between 23:19 to 23:35?  I know this shows alot of non-sleep and finally a transition to sleep.

QAL

Is this what you are looking for?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2023, 11:23 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: The second detail shot shows a 1 minute chunk at 23:38.
1. the first 5 breaths, longish pause, and the sixth one at 23:38:35 are all indicative of sleep breathing. I found it interesting that after the long pause, (a.) you were still asleep, and (b.) the breath was the same intensity as the preceding ones, almost as if your body was in "i don't care" mode.  Usually, after a longer pause the body get's a strong urge to get more oxygen and so there is a more intense recovery breath, probably accompanied by a wakening.
2. the alerting happened after the sixth breath, and the remaining breaths are now indicating the brain is processing and forcing the issue, you may not think you are awake, but the brain is now calling the shots, and demands larger breaths and the exhale is halted several times as if you would if you winced (pain?) and spurted parts of the pent up breath volume (large inhale - hold - partial exhale - hold - partial exhale - hold - more exhale.)

This may not be characteristic of any normal night.

QAL

This is very interesting. Here's a few more detail shots -- more of the same?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2023, 11:27 AM)Gideon Wrote: I am seeing a good number of flow limits that are not being caught and resulting in arousal. Your last zoom is a good example of this.  
Typically a 3-minute view will provide the appropriate length zoom except for a few circumstances.  

Can you include/import your ring data so we can see it along with your OSCAR data.  No issue with your leaks. so move up your FL and SO2 charts.  Limit the Flow rate chart to +/- 75 on the vertical scale.

What other than apnea do you have going on?  It is possible that you will find a BiLevel (VAuto) better for you and I'd start that with a min EPAP of 4 and a PS of 4 which should help some.  As you know your numbers don't indicate this.  Also an indicated O2 Desat of 90 MAYBE, not will, be significant for you.  So do include the full report from your ring.

Thanks Gideon! Can you explain what you mean by "a good number of flow limits not being caught and resulting in arousal" - what does this look like and what is the impact?

I tried to import my O2ring data but I was having trouble because many nights the ring records are split into multiple readings for some reason, making time syncing difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is rare with Sleep Apnea to have Oxygen controlling our breathing. Typically it is our need to remove CO2 and its byproducts. Do a dive in to our respiratory cycle and its drivers.

I find 1-minute views do not usually provide enough info around events to fully see what is going on. I do see flow limits leading into breath holding indicating a possible arousal but usually not enough after the event to see if wake breathing happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2023, 12:28 PM)Gideon Wrote: It is rare with Sleep Apnea to have Oxygen controlling our breathing.  Typically it is our need to remove CO2 and its byproducts.  Do a dive in to our respiratory cycle and its drivers.

I find 1-minute views do not usually provide enough info around events to fully see what is going on.  I do see flow limits leading into breath holding indicating a possible arousal but usually not enough after the event to see if wake breathing happens.

Got it. Here's a 3-minute detail - let me know if this shows anything helpful. Really appreciate your expertise!

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2023, 11:48 AM)pezhead99 Wrote: This is very interesting. Here's a few more detail shots -- more of the same?

in this case both snaps are suggestive of sleeping only.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - how should I interpret that?
Post Reply Post Reply
ph99, when the machine starts up but does not raise the pressure, the machine does not recognize that you have fallen asleep.  the machine finally believes you are asleep at about 23:32:30.  I asked for the 16 minute long snap when you (supposedly) were transitioning to sleep.  I thought I would see and could note the point in the flow graph when you changed the style of breathing.  However, I do not see a distinct pattern of transition from awake breathing to sleep breathing. sorry. not sure what to make of that.

So, next thing I want to try is looking at a 10 minute clip from about 23:42 to 23:52. This period seems to be mostly sleep, and we would just look at the regularity (or irregularity) of breathing while sleeping. The first part is the OA and what immediately preceded it.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2023, 05:07 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: ph99, when the machine starts up but does not raise the pressure, the machine does not recognize that you have fallen asleep.  the machine finally believes you are asleep at about 23:32:30.  I asked for the 16 minute long snap when you (supposedly) were transitioning to sleep.  I thought I would see and could note the point in the flow graph when you changed the style of breathing.  However, I do not see a distinct pattern of transition from awake breathing to sleep breathing. sorry. not sure what to make of that.

So, next thing I want to try is looking at a 10 minute clip from about 23:42 to 23:52. This period seems to be mostly sleep, and we would just look at the regularity (or irregularity) of breathing while sleeping. The first part is the OA and what immediately preceded it.

QAL

QAL, here you go - thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New User! Help Needed! Horrible Sinus Headaches. avogel333 2 165 10-03-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: avogel333
  WISDOM NEEDED srlevine1 4 190 10-02-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [CPAP] 1 Week Usage - Help Needed GalaxyRoll 4 203 10-01-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help Needed: Friend Struggling with CPAP Compliance Due to Anxiety and Mask Removal Sarin 4 159 09-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help Needed to Understand Arousals ravman 3 335 09-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ravman
  New user, support needed please Katie.williams 8 398 09-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Help needed with OSCAR data and pressure SleepyCPAPa 2 218 09-01-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.