Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Old Resmed Autoset S9 machine
Old Resmed Autoset S9 machine
Hi all,

I am currently running a Resmed S9 that was purchased in 2012. It still appears to be working well, although my wife says I should get a new machine.

How long has everyone had their S9 for?

Resmed in Australia advise they don't service the S9 any more, so when it fails I guess I need to bin it.

I am on an age pension so affording a new machine would be a struggle.

I am a qualified electronic tech, so basic repairs with parts that could be substitued is not beyond my capabilities.

Thoughts anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Old Resmed Autoset S9 machine
Hi,

I got my ResMed S9 Elite in 2014 and it is in daily use. So it also comes to a certain age. Recently it started to display the warning message, when turned of in the morning, that the "turbine" (vent, motor) is reaching its end-of-life. I assume this is simply a warning hardcoded into the firmware of the device, that after a certain amount of usage hours it tells you, that you may need to get a new one (sooner or later). Consider this as a "service reminder", so you can take care of getting a new one before it is breaking.

I am sure you got the skills to replace the engine with a new one, I just doubt that you may get a replacement engine. It might be easier to get a used S9 from a private owner, who is actually not using it (yes - there are many of these). Adjusting the therapy setting using the "clinic menu" is not a big issue.

So I will continue to use the S9 at least for travelling, as the new AirSense 11 is a bit more bulky due to its triangle shape. It just safes volume when you use the humidifier - but I do not need it. I will get the AirSense 11 on Friday.

But of course there is a big difference between german and your local health care system. Here those devices are usually "rented" and the health care insurance covers the cost. For my new AS11 i got an offer that this costs about 400 Euro for 6 months. The insurances usually will require you to share usage data with them otherwise you will have to return the device, which will get refurbed.
But I am on private insurance, I will pay for it my self and I will buy it. Price is 1100 Euro. You see, it already is cheaper after 18 months, but of course this is actually caused by the procedures implemented in our health care system - and in several aspects it is weird as it comes with a lot of wasted money. OK, I will take the risk, that I may have to pay for repairs, but after 9 years with my S9 I consider the risk as really low. I will not even claim for refund from the private insurance as I actually have no time to see the doctor for a prescription and they may not accept the invoice without. Maybe next time, when the AS11 works for the same number of years, I will be in age pension myself...

Of course I do not know the prices in your region, but the new devices got about 40% cheaper as the S9 a decade ago. The AirSense 10 might be a little cheaper, but when you have to buy the device I would not stay with the previous model but always get the state-of-the-art device. I also do not know, how much you can spare from your pension and put aside for a new device, but I would consider this as the best option on the long run. You can ask for a payment plan or if they also offer refurbed devices with discount.

But you can safely use the S9 as long as it works - I will do the same. No need to trash it when it is still working. I am getting the new one in advance before the old one breaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Blower motors are the same for the S9 and A10 series of CPAPs. You can purchase a replacement blower from a vendor on AliExpress. Several members have done this without any problems. The only downside is, this will not reset the total machine run hours. This value is stored in nonvolatile memory (NVRAM). This parameter is only accessible using special software form a factory authorized repair facility.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2023, 07:20 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: You can purchase a replacement blower from a vendor on AliExpress.  Several members have done this without any problems.  The only downside is, this will not reset the total machine run hours.  This value is stored in nonvolatile memory (NVRAM).  This parameter is only accessible using special software form a factory authorized repair facility.

- Red

Thanks,

I would not be worried about the run hours if the machine is still working. At around $AUD165 for a motor I might as well get new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2023, 03:09 AM)StefanSB Wrote: Hi,

Here those devices are usually "rented" and the health care insurance covers the cost. For my new AS11 i got an offer that this costs about 400 Euro for 6 months. The insurances usually will require you to share usage data with them otherwise you will have to return the device, which will get refurbed.
But I am on private insurance, I will pay for it my self and I will buy it. Price is 1100 Euro.

ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset machine here costs around $AUD1800. I have private health cover which pays for $500 of that. I paid around $AUD2500 for the S9 in 2012. Our govt system can pay for a machine, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops and have severe apnea. 4 month wait at least for a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to clean your Resmed AutoSet 10 heated hose? Hmm888 9 8,331 08-30-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 295 276,884 08-29-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kamryn
  [Pressure] Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Turpentine 6 321 08-28-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 9 1,129 08-17-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset - Failure Mode? mcman56 3 362 07-09-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  fisher paykel simplus mask on resmed machine Heaviside 5 397 06-23-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Heaviside
  [CPAP] Autoset doesn't do much for me -- with one exception rrstv 3 296 06-17-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.