Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Optimizing my CPAP treatment
Optimizing my CPAP treatment
Hey all!

Have been on CPAP treatment for just over a month or so now and I don't seem to be getting anywhere, especially recently. I know it takes a while but I figured with optimisiation, I could get there faster.

The clinicians I've seen twice don't seem to be much help albeit they're seem very nice. I've got mild sleep apnea with an AHI of 18 (before starting treatment).

Just looking for some insight into how to optimise my therapy!

Many thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimizing my CPAP treatment
We need to see the detailed OSCAR charts, not the statistics or overview.

Please read the link in my signature on “Formatting OSCAR Charts”. Then post a chart or two for folks to review.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I figured because I was asking for general optimisation; the more data the better over the course of a longer period.

I've attached the last two full nights I've been able to keep the mask on.

Thanks for your time!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The settings are still at default. Those are not usable by most.

Try these settings:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 14
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

It may feel strange at first, but give yourself time to adapt. Breathe with the machine, not against it. Relax and let your mind wander. It makes a big difference. 

Those leaks are a problem as well. Your profile says you are using a full-face mask, but what kind and size? Do you  have a beard? 

One thing that helps is wiping the silicone daily with a baby bum wipe or CPAP cleaning cloth. Washing your face before bed helps as it will remove some of the face oils that allow the mask to slide around. If you have not done so, watch some YouTube videos on fitting your particular mask.

I think with a bit more pressure, pressure support (EPR) to reduce the flow limits, and some relaxation techniques, things will get much better. Give these settings a fair go and post further charts in a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2024, 09:25 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: The settings are still at default. Those are not usable by most.

Try these settings:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 14
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

It may feel strange at first, but give yourself time to adapt. Breathe with the machine, not against it. Relax and let your mind wander. It makes a big difference. 

Those leaks are a problem as well. Your profile says you are using a full-face mask, but what kind and size? Do you  have a beard? 

One thing that helps is wiping the silicone daily with a baby bum wipe or CPAP cleaning cloth. Washing your face before bed helps as it will remove some of the face oils that allow the mask to slide around. If you have not done so, watch some YouTube videos on fitting your particular mask.

I think with a bit more pressure, pressure support (EPR) to reduce the flow limits, and some relaxation techniques, things will get much better. Give these settings a fair go and post further charts in a few days.

Thank you for this write up, I'll give it a whirl over the next few days and get back in here.

I do have a beard, just slightly above stubble length. I was recently given a Resmed F40 as "its the newest one out so should fix all of your problems" but I've been reading it's pretty notorious for leaking. In talks with my clinician to grab a more sturdy one such as the F30i.

I'll be back!
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider the Fisher and Paykel Evora as well. It is firmer than the F30 or F30i. With my full beard it is the only FFM I have found that works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Treatment Advice Please rosetech 3 156 10-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  1 Week in - Treatment regimen central apnea? mikaelbb 3 180 10-03-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Interpreting and Optimizing machine Hsiaower 2 180 10-03-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,081 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  TreatmenT emergent central apnea Stracky 9 332 09-25-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 881 67,703 09-25-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 18 1,172 09-23-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.