Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with treatment review
RE: Please help with treatment review
Thanks snorybob!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Every time I see my avatar I'm thankful.

When I was 5 I was taken for a trip that changed my life. My Father was career Canadian Navy. One of our neighbours was a Stoker on a Canadian Frigate. He fed coal to the boilers. ...tough job , below the water line. Then he took me and his son to the switching yard and we road in every steam locomotive

edit: I'm fascinated with steam; that's why I became a mechanical engineer.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Milestone!
I've been working on mouthbreathing...eliminating it.

Over the years I've accumulated:
* chinstraps that work, but stretched and don't work anymore
* chinstraps that don't work
* several generations of cpap caps.  First was good. Last was not-so.
* 3 Knightsbridge Dual Band caps.
* My own rig--a pad under my jaw to prevent jaw-drop. (Now available only in the UK. Not in Canada) (So I cant use it anymore)
* Soft curvical collars I don't like.
* two F&P Evora Full full face masks.
* an accumulation of nasal masks that don't work; my standby is my ResMed N20 nasal mask in a medium size.

So I'm working on my suck-it-up tongue exercise.

Last night I was compliant; ResMed nasal mask. No pillow. No pad. No collar.  It was beautiful.

Summary:  My DME provider charged $275 Canadian plus 13% sales tax for my last N20 Medium.  One month guarantee; no longer provides loaner masks for me to try.  It's a crap-shoot getting a mask there now. I have benefits with my employer for now...I bought my ResMed 10 "for her" from them. That mask was new, sealed in a bag. In other words identical to one I could buy from a Canadian supplier for 1/2 the price.

However, they will keep selling me masks without a prescription as a long term customer. I've been with them about 10 years. about 25 masks. My sleep doc provided a prescription for my "for her" cpap unit about 5? years ago. He provided a prescription for one mask.  I haven't been in his care the last 3 years.

I wish I could find a DME supplier in Mississauga Ontario who provides masks and free loaners so I can try them.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Why don't the full face masks work for you?

If a full face mask is out of the question, then you might try some other solutions that you may not have tried yet. I just did a google searh for "cpap tape" and saw lots of different products.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Evora Full is good for 1 to 3 days. Then I have a night that’s 10 or so. Back to the nasal mask. Past I used Larry’s cap. But I get mask strap marks that last hours. Like 5 or so

And I’ve used tape.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Given that the mask only works for a few days, Dave, I wonder if you have physical patterns that get triggered by the mask or resistance to the mask. Mine are triggered by stress but I start hunching over more. You could try gentle stretches/movement, in the morning when you wake but especially a little while before bed (strong backfires for me, they tighten up in the night if I stretch hard). I'm thinking neck side stretches, gentle shoulder squeezes up against the neck (activates muscles in that area that help a with posture and breathing), stretching arms up over the head, that sort of thing. Then make sure the mask is not too tight with this new adjustment to posture.

Another thing to try is meditate with the machine and mask on before bed. If your mind is busy, find a relaxing guided meditation on youtube or Insight Timer. The goal is not to get to sleep but to find a relaxed natural breath and calmness for the body and mind. Your Autoset will probably respond to this breath and support your relaxed breathing through the night.

Dave, I can tell you are very smart. Don't let the resistance to the machine and the intractability of the problem take your focus and spin you in a negative direction. Instead, harness that energy into settling your body and mind into a harmonious relationship with your machine and your mask. If you try this, please report back. It takes time and persistence. Breathe! You've got this.

Lisa
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] APAP Settings Review falcon940 2 180 10-23-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: falcon940
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 25 1,540 10-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ac123
  SleepyCPAP’s Treatment Thread - Palatal Prolapse AlaxoStent SleepyCPAP 103 14,484 10-22-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: fudo
  Review My Oscar Data; Any Recommendations? Websurfer49 1 108 10-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help With CPAP Treatment (Oscar Help) Bosox6177 2 147 10-19-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bosox6177
Question Central Apnea - Treatment Emergent vs Altitude ausername 4 240 10-17-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 246 10-17-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.