Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
RE: Applying APAP Data to CPAP Machine
Beat me to it Smile I did edit the mistake.

Yes you have it now. With the system one, you keep increasing the min pressure till the events resolve. The forum likes to get the min pressure as low as possible, while having an acceptable number of events. With the auto raising the pressure as needed.
The fixed pressure on the S8 is the number that will resolve most events in the first place. If your AHI readout on the S8 is high, you would increase the fixed pressure to 11. If you want to put up the screen numbers when you use it.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t worry to much about getting different advice from three different people. We simply look at things a little differently, and are not that far apart.

As long as you start slow and watch your numbers for a few days, you can raise the pressure slowly. Your AHI is good, but your Flow Limitation, RERAs and snores need a higher pressure to be tamed.
My recommendation of 8 minimum may still be too low, but you can adjust it if needed.

The Respironics APAP will respond more slowly to apnea events than a ResMed. Also, the AFlex does not work the same as EPR on a ResMed machine.

I don’t recommend using a AFLex of 3, it tends to force you to inhale or exhale before your ready.
A setting of 1 or 2 works best. You won’t get any more than 2cm pressure relief no matter what Flex setting you use, as it is based on flow.

An EPR setting of 3 is fine if your pressure is set high enough as AJack recommended for the S8. The EPR setting of 3 will give you a true 3cm drop in pressure upon exhale.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've set my machine to a pressure range of 8.0 - 13.0. That's higher than I've even used before and much higher than my long ago Rx of 7.0.
I'm anxious to see how it goes tonight and will post my result tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning. I bumped up my APAP pressure from 5.0-11.0 to 8.0-13.0. Slept well, which isn't unusual for me. Attached are the result from last night along with the result from the previous night. Must say, I was hoping for improvement in my AHI but I seem to have taken a step backward.
What might my result be telling you?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You can't draw conclusions from a single nights data. There is considerable variance night to night.

Change your settings, watch your numbers for a few days, alter to accommodate trends. Rinse, repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a step backwards. Your AHI stayed pretty much the same, but there was a small improvement in Flow Limitations and RERAs, with a bigger improvement in Snores. These are not part of the AHI, but make up a big part in how you feel.

Agree with Dog Slobber, not to judge anything by one night. The fact that you sleep well is a big plus for you.

However, a Respironics machine just won’t respond to some apnea events as fast as we would like, so sometimes the only thing you can do is raise the minimum pressure slowly until you see more improvement.

You went from a minimum of 5 to 8 with little or no issue, so raising it by 1cm should not bother you.

Remember, your AHI is good, and you would more than likely see better results when you use your ResMed machine.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for boosting my confidence. I'll continue to follow your advice and won't change any of the settings for 2-3 days. I'll be in touch.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've run my APAP pressure at 8.0-13.0 for a couple of nights now and am encouraged by the result. AHI is up a bit but my Event Flags are reduced significantly. 
I'm thinking that I might increase my minimum pressure up to 9.0 and see what that does.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
No reason not to bump the pressure up.

I just noticed in your profile that you have Opti-Start on. If I remember correctly, this feature will readjust your start pressure every 30 days to whatever it determines is best.
Have you noticed this at all?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I recently noticed that the Opti-Start feature was available on my machine. Seemed to me to be a good idea so I activated it a few days ago. I understand that 30 must pass before it kicks in. How do you feel about this feature?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP VS AP Dynamic larrygreg 14 468 Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP gabitzu 6 172 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,698 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  SleepHQ data for someone struggling with CPAP therhile 36 1,207 09-11-2024, 12:12 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,831 09-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Bipap vs Cpap/Apap DreadPirateRawburts 10 317 09-07-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [CPAP] starting to use CPAP without sleep study/data help Fantasieimpromptu 2 161 09-03-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.