Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Data Help
CPAP Data Help
Hello all,

I would love some guidance and eyes on my sleep data, as I still suffer from tiredness and fatigue.
I had a sleep study done and my AHI was 23 so I started my APAP journey 3 weeks ago.
The first 3 weeks of APAP were awful, because I was always feeling like I needed more air when I'm breathing with the machine and I was also waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air. I would say my sleep was maybe 2/10. I reached out to my CPAP technician 2 days ago because of my poor sleep, and they turned the EPR off (from 2).
It has been 2 days since the change, and I don't have any more of those feelings of breathlessness or episodes of gasping for air in the middle of the night, but my sleep still remains overall poor. 
I have included 4 nights of SleepHQ link here along with my written sleep quality summary. Please have a look and let me know what you think I should do to improve my sleep quality.

Machine configuration
Pressure: 5-15
Ramp: Off
Mask: N20

Recording 1: EPR on 2. Pretty poor sleep. Felt tired all day. Low energy. Overall sleep quality: 3/10
https://sleephq.com/public/3927732c-3e52-4fa6-af24-501b16c80715

Recording 2: EPR on 2. Awful sleep. Felt extremely tired and down all day. Overall sleep quality: 2/10
https://sleephq.com/public/d1860780-cad8-47d9-a757-2128e96f6fdf

Recording 3: First night with EPR off. Slept pretty well. Felt decently energised during work. Overall sleep quality: 7/10
https://sleephq.com/public/b8e279c7-45c9-4a45-9f24-885e3e01a2e1

Recording 4: Second night with EPR off. Feel tired like I used to before CPAP where I am just sleepy during the afternoon. Overall sleep quality: 5/10
https://sleephq.com/public/dac7e869-7474-4798-b266-24093391c1ba

One thing I cannot figure out is: My OA has always been quite low, but my CA has always made the majority of my AHI. Now with EPR off, I had 2 nights without an OA, but just CA’s that disturb my sleep. What is causing my CA?

Thank you all in advance! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Data Help
I don’t have an answer for the centrals but I want to explain EPR.

You have a min that is your inhale AND exhale pressure until you turn onnEPR to full time and set it to 1, 2 or 3.

Then your exhal pressure is the min - EPR= exhale pressure. BUT the absolute lowest pressure a pap machine can go is 4.

So this is what your exhale pressure is at different min pressures.

Min 5 - EPR 3 = 4
Min 6 EPR 3 =4
Min 7 EPR 3 = 4
Min 8 EPR 3 = 5

The first 3 the exhale pressure is 4 BECAUSE THAT IS AS LOW AS THE MACHINE CAN GO.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Data Help
When a person first begins sleep apnea therapy, they can develop treatment emergent central sleep apnea.  Because the person is breathing much better at night, they may be exhaling more CO2.  Co2 levels are what trigger the brain to send the signal to breathe.  

Usually, the Central Apneas (CA's) go away within a few weeks or so or month as the person adapts to pap therapy. 

A rare few have diagnosed central sleep apnea (I did from my sleep study).   Do you have a copy of your sleep study?  If you could get it and post it here, then that might tell why you are having CA's.  

If you had a lot of CA's during your sleep study, then that may be the reason you are having so many right now.  

You can download OSCAR and upload some charts for us to look at also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ data for someone struggling with CPAP therhile 36 1,429 09-11-2024, 12:12 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Interpreting OSCAR data (relatively new CPAP user) bolivar98 14 773 09-02-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [CPAP] Oscar data help - is CPAP right for me? george bonanza 3 300 08-27-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: george bonanza
  CPAP Data Cutoff bjbeck04 7 304 07-31-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Cape67
  [CPAP] New to CPAP - Please help me understand my OSCAR Data hyrola 3 268 07-31-2024, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster
  New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation sanchez 4 360 07-29-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  New CPAP user first OSCAR data results Jhlopez 1 213 07-25-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.