Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Low AHI with constant low Spo2
Low AHI with constant low Spo2
Hello everyone,
I am seeking some advice regarding my recent experience with bilevel therapy for severe sleep apnea. Although I tolerate the therapy well and have no issues with the mask, I have been feeling worse since starting it. I have suffered from severe nocturnal panic attacks for many years and take medication for this condition. Over the past six years, these panic attacks had mostly subsided, with only one or two major events per year.
However, after beginning bilevel therapy, I experienced one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had upon waking up. That day, I felt like I couldn't breathe and wasn't getting enough oxygen. Surprisingly, my Oscar readings showed an AHI of less than 1. I tried adjusting to more comfortable therapy settings to avoid triggering my panic attacks, as they seem to be related to very high pressures affecting my ear canal and causing vertigo. I eventually settled on a therapy of PS 4, IPAP 12, and EPAP 8. My AHI remained under 1, and I didn't have another panic attack.
I decided to buy a pulse oximeter to measure my SpO2 levels. The first night after the panic attack, I did not use the bilevel machine and measured my oxygen levels. I was horrified that I spent most of the night well below 85%, with dips into the 60s. When I measured my SpO2 levels using the bilevel machine, they were even worse, staying between 80 and 70 most of the night and with the lowest SpO2 of 57%, lasting well over a minute. Additionally, my heart rate seemed to stay very high during bilevel therapy in the high 80s.
I am unsure how to proceed. I know how to change the settings on my machine, but I don't know what adjustments to make to improve my SpO2 levels without triggering panic attacks, especially since my AHI is under 1. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI with constant low Spo2
These low saturations require supplied oxygen because you cannot mitigate them with higher pressures due to your attacks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI with constant low Spo2
I'm replying so I can find this post again. I am feeling so much worse since starting the CPAP therapy. My AHI is less than 1 per hour with the machine, but I'm wondering how that translates for SPO2. I just bought a sensor, hopefully it will arrive soon. My doctor and supplier keep telling me I have to acclimate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad OSCAR SPO2 Import Issue from Vihealth(Checkme O2) MikeVet 2 156 09-26-2024, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Health] Worried about spO2 drops during the day and night... ZeroShun 2 164 09-26-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: ZeroShun
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 8 886 09-26-2024, 10:28 AM
Last Post: KardiacKid
  Relation Spo2, apneas, and Leaks don't make sense insomeapnea 6 294 08-26-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Under 1 AHI (great!) but what’s with the constant spikes on my breathing chart graph? JustG 5 330 08-25-2024, 02:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low & Fluctuating spO2 r4robin 10 463 08-11-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  SpO2 Drops Not Correlated with Apneas SunMesa 24 1,076 08-08-2024, 02:47 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.