Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *)
RE: ResMed F40 Full Face Mask (* new *)
(09-20-2024, 12:33 PM)sleepingbetterinFl Wrote: Would taping your mouth work if I have trouble breathing through my nose?

I have trouble breathing through my nose.  I had to buy tape and try it to see if it went well.  I could still breathe with my mouth taped shut but there are times I cannot so no tape then.  I remain on and off experimenting with tape to see if it has any benefit.  The latest advice I see is to use tape and pillow-type nasal masks for best results.  I guess with tape there is no need for a full face mask, but taping is pretty weird to me and so far I see no change in AHI with taping.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the f40 and love it.  I like to rotate masks.  I use the bleep dreamports and the solo nasal masks. I tape when I use those two masks.  If I don’t tape I open my mouth while I’m asleep and that messes up with the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2024, 02:12 PM)yankees123 Wrote: I use the f40 and love it.  I like to rotate masks.  I use the bleep dreamports and the solo nasal masks. I tape when I use those two masks.  If I don’t tape I open my mouth while I’m asleep and that messes up with the therapy.

I can't get tape to work.  I've tried 5 brands.  Cover Roll sticks the best, but I still mouth breath.  I've even put three strips over my mouth trying to keep it shut yet without success.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried washing andd drying the area the tape is to cover before you tape up?

When I cut the tape I do it to twice the area my lips are and then I tape I roll the lips in so the tape isn't directly on them.  The full height of the tape and the width at least an inch past the end of the lips.

Chapstick on the lips is ok if you are careful and don't get it on the tape.

I also trim the corners so it is lip shaped.  And I put a tiny straw sized hole in the center so I can get a drink in the night.  I can also break through that if there is an issue in my nose.  by tiny I mean 1/16th of an inch square hole in the middle, it will stretch when you wear it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2024, 10:02 AM)robbob2112 Wrote: Have you tried washing andd drying the area the tape is to cover before you tape up?

When I cut the tape I do it to twice the area my lips are and then I tape I roll the lips in so the tape isn't directly on them.  The full height of the tape and the width at least an inch past the end of the lips.

Chapstick on the lips is ok if you are careful and don't get it on the tape.

I also trim the corners so it is lip shaped.  And I put a tiny straw sized hole in the center so I can get a drink in the night.  I can also break through that if there is an issue in my nose.  by tiny I mean 1/16th of an inch square hole in the middle, it will stretch when you wear it.

Yes, I've made an extra effort to clean the area to be taped.  The tape is stuck fast, hard to get off and it may be because I have a beard that the tape will not keep me from mouth breathing.  If I were to cut a hole in it I would mouth breath through the hole.  Any tape I use comes loose just enough to get air around it although it is stuck very well to my face. I wake with a totally dry mouth from mouth breathing.  I am not trying to stop mask leaks with tape, I am trying to stop mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, beard is a tough thing to get around - I generally shave clean every few days -
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you might try with the beard is a mouth guard.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will look into the mouth guard.  I think Robbob suggested a wedge pillow to prevent rolling to back.  I got one and it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shucks.  Now I see what a mouthguard is...if I have the right device I can't use one.  I had a custom mouthguard made 14 years ago.  It did not work and was painful to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was really hoping this one would be the one for me, but I find it uncomfortable.  When my machine is at operating pressure the force of air entering the mask tends to "blow my lips open" even though I try to keep them shut.  Looks like I will return to the F20.  I do not feel this force of air rushing in with the F20.  Not sure why.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] New F&P Evora Full Face Mask yankees123 21 9,960 10-13-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: THEVGE
  [Product Review] Evora Full Face ejbpesca 4 770 10-03-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [split] F40 Full Face ejbpesca 1 254 09-09-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Product Review] Resmed AirTouch F20 Full-Face Mask trish6hundred 54 31,347 08-13-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 7 7,964 05-04-2024, 02:49 PM
Last Post: BAZZA
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 29,859 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed N30 Nasal Mask Review (not the N30i) AndyB 17 12,642 02-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.