Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about Resmed Airsense 11
Question about Resmed Airsense 11
Hey all,

I have been using the Resmed Airsense 10 for several of years now and it worked really well!

Air pressure was set on 14.

Recently, doctor recommended an upgrade which was the Redmed Airsense 11. 

Complete different all around. First off, new to the nasal mask (full mask was worn previously) and the ramp up setting which the pressure starts at 6-12.

EXTREMEMLY uncomfortable with breathing and feel possibly the pressure is low? Especially being the previous machine was set at 14?

Not sure if the ramp up is hurting me as well? I read on a different thread to try to change the air pressure to 8-12 and turn ramp up off? Also my EPR is set at 2 and read it should be changed to 3?

If so, i did so and noticed a bit of improvment but still felt much more comfortable with my previous machine.

Would it be safe to possibly set air pressure to start at 14 or is that too high? And if so, will the ramp up off mean it will not increase throughout the night?

Any input would TRULY be appreciated.

My apologies if I am throwing out a lot out there lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about Resmed Airsense 11
Forgot to mention, my Resmed Airsense 10 Auto settings were:
Ramp up- off
Pressure 14
EPR 3
Humidity: 4

It worked well and I was definitely satisfied! Would it be my best bet and safe bet to do the same with my new resmed 11 airsense? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airsense 10 was used in CPAP mode at a fixed pressure of 14?

Set the Airsense 11 to CPAP mode (it may be its only mode) at 14 with EPR 3 and humidity of 4. That copies what you had.

Turn ramp off - all it does is starves you of air for 2,5,10,20 minutes instead of starting at your set level. I have never understood how too low pressure over a time period helps you adjust. Ramp merely starts the flow at a low level, say, 2,4,6 and eventually "ramps up" the pressure to 14 over X minutes. Turn ramp off.

EPR is the amount the pressure drops by (not drops to) when you exhale to make it easier to breathe out against the pressure, so if CPAP is 14, when you exhale the pressure drops to 11 ( e.g. 14-3) so your exhaling is not pushing against as much pressure. Then when you inhale it goes back to 14.

In my opinion a S10 and a S11 both set identically, CPAP/APAP, pressure, ramp, EPR will not be any different from each other. It is just a fixed air pump at a set pressure level. I have a S9, S10 (CPAP) and S11 CPAP/APAP and all three in CPAP mode behave identically.

Change the S11 to your old settings and use the old mask for a night which should prove this out.

To be asked to change the settings and mask type all at once is a bit much for some users to adjust to. Confirm the S11 with identical settings is OK then try the nasal mask.

If the S11 is Autoset, you can try it on APAP mode, set to say 8-16 (APAP has a minimum and maximum range of pressure), no ramp and EPR 3, and the machine will auto adjust your pressure as needed. Maybe some hours you need 15 and others you need 12. It adjusts those pressures for you. In any case at any pressure the EPR reduces that pressure by 3 while you exhale.

I would try Autoset if you have that for a couple nights with your old mask. Then if it is good, try the new mask because you will know that the machine is managing pressure properly. Maybe you do not take to a nasal mask - if not switch back to your full mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you a ton for your immediate response!

Previous machine it was set at CPAP mode at 14. Should I try to do the same with my new Airsense 11 for now rather than set up autoset to see how things work?

The new one was set at autoset at 6-12
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2024, 03:20 AM)NICK220 Wrote: Previous machine it was set at CPAP mode at 14. Should I try to do the same with my new Airsense 11 for now rather than set up autoset to see how things work?

The new one was set at autoset at 6-12

@nick220, yes, set your new AirSense 11 to the same settings as your AS 10.  There is very little therapeutic difference between the two, and I'm not sure why the new suggestion was to set your max to 12; 2 lower than your previous setting.

As suggested Ricky, you could also use your old mask if you don't like the new one.  Whichever is most comfortable.

After you've tried that, then follow directions on the site to post your results here, and people will look them over and give advice on what to do next.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the same, as I said.

When you are troubleshooting/titrating, etc., don't make a dozen changes at once. The physician should know that.

Start with a new environment identical other than the new machine being the variable. 

Then try a mask change, pressure change, EPR change. One thing at a time.

However turn off ramping which is just a burden. It must benefit somebody but not me.

I started on a S9, at 8.8 and changed to a S10 at 9.2 (which I changed back to 8.8) and then a S11 on APAP and whaddayaknow? The average pressure from the little APAP computer brain for a night is 8.9. 

I prefer nasal masks but if the full face mask is working, keep it, though, I would suggest you try the nasal mask since you have it anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 101 48,335 1 hour ago
Last Post: Davileet
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 100 35,466 10-23-2024, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed airsense 11 water tank super7pilot 9 377 10-23-2024, 11:17 AM
Last Post: super7pilot
  How to keep two Resmed Airsense 10s running when power turned off? TwoSleepy 7 322 10-23-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Humidifer questions.. Resmed 10 Airsense beetee 14 398 10-19-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Higher AHI Readings on AirSense 11 than AirSense 10 Bmck8381 0 137 10-17-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Bmck8381
  SD card for Resmed airsense 11 buggy285 16 597 09-29-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: DraftZebra

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.