Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto
Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto
Can anyone tell me what difference, if any, a Regular hose vs a Slimeline hose would make using wih an Airsense 10 Auto?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto
The Slimline hose has a smaller diameter and weighs less. The cost difference is not much. The Climateline adds a heat element to the tube wall to prevent condensation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The slim('e')line is lighter for the user but has no effect for the CPAP.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 12:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Slimline hose has a smaller diameter and weighs less. The cost difference is not much.  The Climateline adds a heat element to the tube wall to prevent condensation.

Thank-you. I know the diameter, weight (which may pull more or less on the mask) and the cost. The Climateline, I think (I don't have one) just gives more humidity control and temperature reading. I was thinking more about how it performs. eg...volume of air, noise...etc. I know the Autosense will compensate for the difference in the setting somehow but what does that all mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CPAP creates pressure and maintains it by producing enough flow to compensate for your respiration and leaks, including intentional mask venting. Pressure is like what you get in a car tire. There is no flow unless it has somewhere to go. A larger diameter tube will ultimately flow the same amount of air as a thinner tube. A given flow-rate of air in volume/time will have greater velocity (distance/time) in a narrow tube than a wider tube, but you will never notice it and as I said, the same volume will be delivered regardless of tube diameter to maintain the target pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 01:59 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: "A given flow-rate of air in volume/time will have greater velocity (distance/time) in a narrow tube than a wider tube, but you will never notice it"

Actually, I do notice a difference. I find using the regular tube is more gentle. I'm experimenting now and hoping that the regular, more gentle flow might cause less mouth-breathing.

(I never had a lot of mouth-breathing trouble with my old black tower, that I used for 20 years with 3 cm pressure, but it's been a constant problem since I switched to the S9 about eight years ago. The Airsense 10 is better, but there's still a lot of mouth-breathing--and resultant dry mouth.)
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a setting in the A10 to denote which tubing you are using. Slimline or standard.

The only standard tubing was the cheap stuff the dme used to send which cracked all the time.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I change the CPAP setting when I change the tube.

I've had my standard tubes for years and never had any cracking. Like you say, it depends on what your supplier gives you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

I changed from Slimline to regular tube on July 15, having started using the Airsense 10 and collecting data on Feb 3 of this year.

Average AHI Feb 3, 2021-July 14, 2021 was 2.70. OA 0.31, CA 1.24
Average AHI July 16, 2021-Aug 5, 2021 was 1.78. OA 0.27  CA 0.89

So it seems (one case) that the greater velocity the comes with the Slimline (see Sleeprider's expl in this thread) can make a difference. My subjective experience fits with this, as I seem to experience less mouth breathing and dry mouth with the regular tubing.

These numbers comport with my subjective experience since I switched to a CPAP with the Slimline hose about eight years ago.

The CA/OA numbers are interesting too. I believe I've read that CA numbers can be pushed up by CPAP pressure that's too high. If that's the case, the large drop in CA average compared to OA average when I went to the regular hose may be significant.

"Your mileage may vary."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm interested in this topic, but confused by the types of hose being talked about.  Standard, regular, slimline, and climateline are all mentioned above.  Are the words standard, regular and slimline all used interchangeably for any hose that is not the ResMed Climateline?  

In other words, there are two types of hoses total? Or are there different versions (diameters) of unheated non-Climateline hoses? 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hose sliding off mask Dawei 16 15,201 07-26-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: amx1966
  [Equipment] Shortest hose or Adapter? ryans081 0 131 07-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ryans081
  What is this breathing pattern? Regular inhale, almost flat exhale cqrmskaprd 10 458 06-22-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cqrmskaprd
  New hose smell runcyclexcski 7 336 06-22-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: BobinHI
  Resmed Climateline Vs Oxy Hose Akeyla 7 395 06-11-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 8 845 06-10-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 Autoset - Question about Auto Ramp Velderes 6 333 06-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.