Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents
Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents
I have been using the Resmed Airtouch F20 facemask for some time and I am comfortable with it. it does use magnets.

I have 4 coronary artery stents made largely of chromium.

I received a notice that Resmed is advising users of masks with magnets to discontinue their use if they have any of a long list of medical implants/devices and they do include stents in that list.

I would like to hear from others who have received the same notice and who have coronary artery stents.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents
I just got a pacemaker, and I found out that there is now a non magnetic version of the Airfit F20, called the Airfit F20 NM. Yay!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2023, 10:12 PM)stillaliveca Wrote: I received a notice that Resmed is advising users of masks with magnets to discontinue their use if they have any of a long list of medical implants/devices and they do include stents in that list.
Quantitative determination of magnetic force on a coronary stent in MRI

Nina Lopič 1Andreja JelenStanislav VrtnikZvonko JagličićMagdalena WenckaRadovan StarcAleš BlincJanez Dolinšek
Affiliations expand
Abstract
Purpose: To introduce an analytical method for a quantitative determination of magnetic force on a coronary stent in the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) magnet that is generally applicable to metallic implants. Magnetic forces on metallic implants in the MRI magnets are traditionally determined empirically by measuring deflection from the vertical plane at the central axis of the magnet and at the point of the largest force along the longitudinal axis of the magnet.
Materials and methods: Magnetic and chemical characterization of the stents was performed by a commercial magnetometer and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Magnetic force on the stents fabricated of paramagnetic alloys (surgical stainless steel and cobalt-chromium) was determined by measuring the stent's magnetic dipole moment and employing the on-axis magnetic field profile of an MRI magnet.
Results: The maximum force on the stainless steel stent was found to be F(S,max) = 0.18 mN, whereas on the cobalt-chromium stent it was F(C,max) = 0.06 mN.
Conclusion: The magnetic force on the investigated paramagnetic stents is even smaller than the gravitational force acting on the stents in the Earth's gravity field, so that it has no physiological impact on the stented vessels.

Comment of G.Szabo:
The magnetic field strength of MRI is orders of magnitudes higher than the magnets on your mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
MRIs induce a huge magnetic field compared with the dinky magnets used in these masks (google mri metal videos) and the MRI is considered medically safe for stents implanted in recent years. The heart moves to perform its function and so do any implanted stents. Any deflection due to the mask magnets is insignificant compared to the forces experienced every heartbeat. The warnings for stents are just lawyer mumbo jumbo. Implanted cardiac devices (pacemakers, implanted cardiac defribillators, etc) are a different beast and can be impacted by small magnetic fields. These latter devices warrant the cautions published by the makers of the magnetic masks. All IMHO with 30 yrs of medical knowledge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I am inclined to think this is backside covering by Resmed, in case of future legal cases against the company. I have one stent and a pacemaker fitted and took up the matter with the doctor who fitted the pacemaker. He assured me there was no worries regarding magnetism to the pacemaker caused by the magnetic buttons on my mask. If you have any doubts, by all means change to the updated mask, which I think is not available here in Australia yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] How to clean mask with magnets Gingeri12 2 131 06-28-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Full-face CPAP masks for side sleepers? (Besides Dreamwear?) Cape67 6 228 06-25-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Buying masks from Lofta for the first time (prescription required?) nicholasb600 3 192 06-23-2024, 01:16 AM
Last Post: nicholasb600
  Trying other masks chzuck 10 284 06-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Looking for help with issues with Resmed masks wvdthree 5 272 06-07-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: car54
  Oscar results comparing two different masks RonM39 0 139 06-07-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: RonM39
  ASV and masks emmylouwho 24 2,145 05-11-2024, 06:42 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.