Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sea level vs 6200 feet
Sea level vs 6200 feet
Hello!

For any of the gurus out there, based on the images below, what would be the reason for the differences between sea level and 6200 feet (1900 meters) of altitude?
Note that I was using a Perfect O2 oxygen concentrator set at "2" for the 6200 feet readings. No oxygen concentrator for sea level.

(I live at 6200 feet and recently went on a three week vacation to sea level)

I sleep a lot better at sea level I noticed. At 6200 feet I wake up more and I'm more uncomfortable in general. Are there any adjustments that can be made for the 6200 feet settings to make it more like sea level?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet
Hi pkalsleep!  -  Welcome
I'm not a guru, but will still answer.  Both air density and humidity would be my speculation. To a lesser degree, the temperature delta between the ambient and your body temperature.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

Do you think there is anything I can do to improve my situation at 6200 feet?

Also, would there be a concern with the tidal volume being so low at higher altitude?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think there should be some deviation chart with your concentrator that would have offsets for different altitudes. How did you arrive at a setting of 2?
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
Project Manager for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to my doctor a setting of 2 on that oxygen concentrator approximates the oxygen level at sea level. 
That said, I've tried other oxygen settings as well with no discernable effect on tidal volume. 
At 6000 feet my tidal volume is much lower and I have more flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another aspect, and unfortunately I'm not the science professor or proficient at explaining the how and why, but the what is that higher elevation tends to enhance Central Apnea. This is shown on your OSCAR as increased CA. This increased a bit on your comparison samples.

Note as well, Central Apnea will have a stubborn, notorious thing where they're consistently inconsistent, as in up and down randomly without a correlation to settings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is amazing in that your tidal volume varies greater than 100% between the 2 locations.  I hope that you get the correct adjustments to improve your therapy at 6200 feet elevation.  

I agree with Red and Dave.  Thinner air at higher altitude with less O2 concentration (percentage wise) in the air also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

Yes, I agree about oxygen being important. However, I'm already supplementing my sleep with an oxygen concentrator to offset the lower oxygen levels at the higher altitude, so I don't think it's directly the oxygen that is the issue,
Post Reply Post Reply
The dispersion of air going into the Cpap is much higher than by cannula. I use 2 during the day and 5 using the Cpap.

Raise the amount of O2 you are getting at night using cpap
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Aha! I did not realize this. Let me try that. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy? THEVGE 3 210 10-14-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  [Symptoms] Tingling hand palms and feet soles THEVGE 11 653 10-01-2024, 04:09 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  VCOM & Bi-Level MrIvanDrago 22 1,111 09-27-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  carnuntum - Switching from Prisma APAP to Aircurve bi-level therapy carnuntum 8 1,578 08-16-2024, 05:19 AM
Last Post: carnuntum
Exclaimation CPAP causing SWELLING in lower legs/ankles/feet KellyTheChef 1 273 07-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Bi-Level Inducing Clear Airway Events, time for ASV? Norman2195 5 378 06-18-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Burd - Bi-Level Therapy Thread Burd 13 778 06-05-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.