Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping
RE: Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping
@Deborah K. I have attached 1) the same night as above zoomed out 2) The first night with the new mask and mouth tape (still in ASVauto mode) and 3) the first night with the lowest setting possible ie CPAP 4 cmH20 

Post Reply Post Reply
kshvine, I'm so happy for you!  You really needed that ASV and it's wonderful that it is working so well for you!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar result with ASV. I changed to an N30i nasal mask from an F30i full face mask, but noticed mouth breathing on video, so added cover roll tape for mouth taping, and my AHI improved greatly. Apparently some doctors think you might suffocate if you lose power, but I can still breathe if the power goes out, which does not happen since I have Tesla Powerwalls.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Volty, what mouth tape did you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I have tried mouth taping (in fact i used Duct Tape, after all, I am Canadian!) and even Masking Tape; but i found the best tape to be the 3M type. This tape is slightly breathable and i was using it for some weeks, until i started feeling like i was suffocating while using the tape. I was using a Full Face Mask while using the tape, because i do tend to mouth-breathe even when using the full face mask; and was having enough apneas and hyponeas at that time, to be concerned and to consider tape. About a month later, i now use mouth tape regularly but have switched back to my pillows mask; and i have very good AHI numbers (often under 1).

Still, i have concerns about using tape. First of all, i now do not completely cover my mouth; i use tape only to hold my mouth closed and to train myself while sleeping to keep my mouth closed. This is not easy; I like to breathe deeply, yawn, and sometimes i need to sneeze: this can be dangerous when using tape, because it can strain your heart. So, i don't completely seal my mouth -- i use maybe 2 inches of tape to mostly seal my mouth; but this also allows some slight leakage and/or ability to breathe, if necessary.

I am planning to stop using mouth tape altogether, as it is a fact that any form of back pressure or thoracic negative pressure will, over time, induce arrhythmias and/or heart problems if not soon addressed. This is particularly the case if you have ever used a higher pressure than you should have, for a long time (e.g. years). Even a CPAP mask creates some back pressure. This is not good and, as you age, it must be completely avoided; natural breathing is the best!

I hope what i have written here can help many people, over time, avoid using tape and even CPAP over time, as they find alternative ways to manage their physiology and to properly CURE their apneas and hyponeas without relying on a motor blower to keep their airway patent!
Post Reply Post Reply
"... it is a fact that any form of back pressure or thoracic negative pressure will, over time, induce arrhythmias and/or heart problems if not soon addressed."

Would you mind adding some references ewriter ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't aware of anything curing Apnea. There are cases where people with low levels of Apnea lose significant weight and CPAP is not necessary any longer. CPAP and other methods reduce Apnea as therapy, but none cure it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
Honestly, i don't have specific references but i will have a look. It's been my personal experience that a narrowed or closed airway causes me some "chest flutter" even when awake and sitting up (almost dozing); but this may only be the case after many months of inadequate CPAP or PAP therapy and a considerable sleep deficit. Note that i didn't say "treated". If your apneas and hyponeas are treated, i believe you can fully recover from any cardiopulmonary and other issues (dv); but exercise, medications and diet (especially the use of alcohol, sedatives or antidepressants) also have a big role to play. There are studies, for example, where a group of people suffering from Atrial Fibrillation were put on CPAP; many of them fully recovered and their Afib disappeared. I will post the links for these later.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is amazing! I am considering making the same change. Have you tried a chinstrap? And what do you use to tape?

Congrats on making this positive change in your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
Honestly, i don't have specific references but i will have a look. Note that i didn't say "treated". There are studies, for example, where a group of people suffering from Atrial Fibrillation were put on CPAP; many of them fully recovered and their Afib disappeared. I will post the links for these later.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 228 2 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 13 514 Today, 06:10 AM
Last Post: SeePak
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 180 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 13 428 09-12-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  OSCAR Results Help Napnea4 4 177 09-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [CPAP] Oscar results - How can I improve on this further? nomosnow 4 255 09-05-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 15 1,463 09-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.