Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simulate BiPAP with APAP for more data – Need Advice
Simulate BiPAP with APAP for more data – Need Advice
I was prescribed BiPAP a few months ago, and I have been using a ResMed AirCurve 11. I noticed that flow limitation data and snore data were missing from OSCAR. I looked into this, and apparently, the AirCurve 11 doesn’t record that flow limitation and snore when in BiPAP mode. However, it will record this data in CPAP or APAP (VAuto) modes. 

I really wanted to check out this data, so I devised a work-around. I changed the mode from BiPAP (S mode) to APAP (VAuto mode). I then set the maximum IPAP and minimum EPAP levels to my BiPAP prescription levels of 13 and 9. I then set the Support Pressure (difference between IPAP and EPAP) to 4 to keep the IPAP and EPAP levels constant where I want them. This method of simulating BiPAP with APAP seems to be working well from what I can tell, and I now have the data for flow limitation and snore.

My question is this. Am I crazy for doing this, or does this sound like a reasonable method? Are there any complications or problems that I might be overlooking by using APAP in a simulated BiPAP way? Thanks for any advice!

- cyberfiche
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simulate BiPAP with APAP for more data – Need Advice
If you have VAuto as a mode, and this is a ResMed AirCurve as you say, your use of VAuto isn't an APAP simulating bilevel, it is bilevel. The VAuto is an auto mode on bilevel.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're using vauto mode which is auto bilevel, s mode is bilevel too but set's a constant min epap pressure that stays fixed (I prefer this mode to vauto).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the clarity on VAuto! I feel better knowing that I'm still using BiPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Self treating: Advice for tuning after first night OSCAR data? citrus1 13 454 09-16-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: citrus1
  APAP VS AP Dynamic larrygreg 14 557 09-15-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Symptoms] Waking up every 3-4 hours with APAP gabitzu 6 223 09-15-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 140 09-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 159 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  Potential UARS BiPAP Advice gce799 6 593 09-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: gce799
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 46 2,864 09-08-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.