Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Stage Expert?
Sleep Stage Expert?
It's been a while since I've posted.  I'm trying to back away from the medical rabbit hole a bit to keep sanity. Smile

Fortunately, I have been able to keep my leak rate very manageable now with the F&P Vitera combined with my Knightsbridge Chin Strap.  It made a massive difference with that and continues to.  My AHI according to my ResMed BPAP Air Curve 10 VAuto is almost always less than 1.0 and 95th% leak rate under 10L.  I've even had nights with zero leaks.

All that said, I STILL am very tired all the time.  It's a hopeless battle.  I have a Fitbit Charge 5 and have been looking at the sleep data it gives.  It was relatively consistent with what was reported on several previous sleep studies from a few years ago.  Basically my REM % is in the 7-10% range.  Deep Sleep (S3) usually 0-2%.  Overall sleep time 8-9 hrs a night.  Usually 1 hr or so awake according to the watch.  My muscles hurt quite a bit, most likely due to two bad shoulders and a messed up lower back.  Very stiff and now little movements cause aching.   It's pretty depressing as my wife has the same watch and hers reports she gets 20-25% REM and 12% S3 Deep Sleep.   She doesn't feel like total crap ever with less sleep than me.  She does not use a CPAP. 

I try to stay active gardening when possible.  I was doing all in my power to start walking a bit, but my body hits a brick wall and it's game over.  My muscles don't recover regardless of repeated days of doing an activity.  A rheumatologist ran a lot of labs and the only one that was abnormal was my Rheumatoid Factor.  It was in the 40-50 range and normal is <15.  All other Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, other markers were normal.   I'm told it's a pretty vague test and hard to interpret.

I'm very curious if Jason from AXG Diagnostics could delve into my OSCAR data to try to determine my actual sleep stages each night.  If I'm really getting under 10% REM sleep nightly at my age, that's bad bad news.  I don't have an Apple Watch.  I spot checked my overnight O2 levels with the CheckmeMax watch multiple times and numbers looked good.  I'm still on 3L supp O2 with a 17/9 BPAP pressure.  Sleep doc said all is perfect.  My body highly disagrees. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Stage Expert?
I have used Jason and found him very knowledgeable in sleep analysis. A bit single-minded in his approach with only using fixed pressure and dislike of pressure support, but I do not regret having him help. Even though I do not use his recommendations fully, I did learn a lot from his approach.

To me, I found him nothing like his YouTube persona. He is a very serious person who wants to help and cares about doing a good job.

Regarding smart watches. The expensive ones at best are 80% accurate, the cheaper ones far less so. Do not get too concerned with their sleep stage analysis. Watch some YouTube videos by “The Quantified Scientist” to see them compared with medical grade equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur completely with PeaceLoveAndPizza regarding both Jason and smartwatches.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.  I personally feel Jason's attempts at humor come off bad at times from a professional aspect.  That has always been a reservation.  If it was a comedy channel, it would be different.  My comment does not mean he is not very good at his career or doesn't offer useful services.  I just don't agree with the approach, but we all have an opinion. 

My last two overnight sleep studies showed REM %s of 8% and 9% for the night.  Those were done with gold standard EEG testing and such.  My discomfort levels have increased substantially since then so I can't imagine having improved results by any means. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
If you already had decided that Jason was not for you, why ask for advice? As you were told, his YouTube persona is not him, it is a character to amuse the audience. There are likely others who may meet your expectations, but I am not aware of any that are at Jason’s level of experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
My impression of LankyLefty is that he's extremely skilled. The kind of humor he has is not at all about the technical aspects of sleep or sleep treatment.

In my experience, his humor is 5th grade boy: if he could make a poop joke, he would. I find it refreshing, and I always get a good laugh, because I'd never find the same things funny if it were me making up the jokes. He's creative and ridiculous. And the alternative is to listen to his competitors drone on and on: they put me to sleep in mid-day, and sleepiness is not good for information-gathering.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no reservations about using Jason for feedback. Just because I don't feel his video humor would garner confidence from a M.D. doesn't mean I don't think he's very skilled. I guess it depends on who the audience is. At the end of the day, I care if a person is caring, highly knowledgeable and provide good value. That's what matters. I think my comment came across wrong. I did not mean it that way. I'm glad to hear others speak highly of his services!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 318 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Importing O2 & Sleep Stage data into OSCAR?? David424 13 875 07-24-2024, 07:59 PM
Last Post: David424
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 433 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 8 985 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 5 558 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 513 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 485 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.