Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean What are the facts?
"Sadly, mine finally bit the dust two months ago. I'm too cheap to get a new one--yet. I'd prefer the UV device..."

I'm quoting myself here. Look, it's easy to miss sentences in all the sentences posted here.

Of all the sentences that could come into all the bars in Casablanca, that sentence had to come into mine...

I'm unsure if I was being referenced as coming off a bit "guff". If so--since it's hard to see how one comes off on the internet--what does 'guff' mean? I'll try to change or ease up if possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 09:14 PM)bonjour Wrote: I am NOT a SoClean fan, I typically recommend not using it.

In a Coronavirus infected house, I can see using a SoClean in addition to a good daily cleaning routine.  There are many that are somewhat 'lax' in their CPAP cleaning.
I would suggest a solid daily cleaning ending with a SoClean 'soak'.  Anything that can knock down the virus in an infected environment is good.  Be sure to make sure all OZONE is purged from the system in the absence of the patient since ozone has the potential of causing significant lung damage, this is the last thing to introduce to a Coronsvirus patient with the severe impact COVID-19 has on the lungs and breathing.

This is part of my concern.

Is it effective against microbes?
I believe it is.  If folks are worried about it being strong enough to wreck their machines, it should be strong enough to do most of what it claims as far as killing microbes.  Although I know the jury is still out.  Do not worry, you are not enabling.  I already got one.

Will it hurt my PAP machine?
My brother in-law, who is a master craftsman mechanic and restores and shows old Pontiac cars, told me after a year and a half his is still like new.

I know it is not FDA approved and I read the letter from the FDA prior to purchasing mine, that was posted in this thread earlier.

Thank you for your reply
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 09:23 PM)hegel Wrote: "Sadly, mine finally bit the dust two months ago.

How long did it last?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 10:27 PM)Lost Clusters Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 09:23 PM)hegel Wrote: "Sadly, mine finally bit the dust two months ago.

How long did it last?

Thirteen years or thereabouts. this was an early iteration. Maybe 10...time flies. i have no complaints in this regard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 10:55 PM)hegel Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 10:27 PM)Lost Clusters Wrote:

How long did it last?

Thirteen years or thereabouts. this was an early iteration. Maybe 10...time flies. i have no complaints in this regard.

So you used a soclean for 10 - 13 years, and it did not wreck your PAP machine.  Do I understand that correctly?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2020, 09:14 PM)bonjour Wrote: I am NOT a SoClean fan, I typically recommend not using it.

In a Coronavirus infected house, I can see using a SoClean in addition to a good daily cleaning routine.  There are many that are somewhat 'lax' in their CPAP cleaning.
I would suggest a solid daily cleaning ending with a SoClean 'soak'.  Anything that can knock down the virus in an infected environment is good.  Be sure to make sure all OZONE is purged from the system in the absence of the patient since ozone has the potential of causing significant lung damage, this is the last thing to introduce to a Coronsvirus patient with the severe impact COVID-19 has on the lungs and breathing.

I respectfully disagree with this recommendation. SoClean will probably be very effective at inactivating the virus on the surfaces of the the CPAP components that are treated but if the virus is present in the house, there are many other surfaces upon which it may be present including the interior surfaces of the machine itself. The surfaces of CPAP components are a very small part of that overall infectious environment.

If by virus infected house you mean the home of someone who has an active infection, that person will be shedding virus into the air continuously. If virus containing droplets are in the air they will be pulled into the CPAP machine as soon it is turned on. The fact that any virus present on the components prior to staring it were inactivated is irrelevant since the air will immediately recontaminate the system.  The virus will also be present in the air inhaled by the CPAP user that does not even contact the surfaces of  the system, not to mention the air inhaled when not using the machine.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are SoClean Side Effects causing harm
I'll bet those black particles are carbon from the carbon filter that is inside the soclean chamber.  They can get loose from the filter easily.  I had some in mine too. After the 2 hour cleaning cycle I take the mask out of the cleaning chamber and start up my PAP machine and let it run a while. That should take care of any remaining gas or in this case carbon particles.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman, you are absolutely correct.  I did not address the surfaces of the room or the airborne issue, but admittedly I did not think of the internal or external surfaces of the device outside of the circuit. as I was only addressing the parts the SoClean can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me add, if concern is to somehow protect the CPAP user who is infected it is futile. His infected lung cells are cells are generating sufficient numbers of virus particles to sustain the progress of infection plus to be shed in exhaled air. Preventing the inhalation of more virus will not prevent the progression of the disease.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Melman

I do not think bonjour was trying to infer the situation you are referring to. I believe he was stating a hypothetical scenario that did not evolve as far as you think it did.

Or at lest that is what I got out of it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I cannot stand cleaning this thing SleepyAF 8 288 09-30-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] How frequently to you do a deep mask cleaning? seepapnyc 9 376 09-15-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 11 1,862 09-13-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Anyone use CPAP sanitizing machines? sleepingbetterinFl 6 291 09-09-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Cleaning advice needed for Resmed p30i AshSF 2 211 08-28-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Holiday/Vacation Usage Importance & Cleaning...... beetee 12 605 08-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: beetee
  [Equipment] Cleaning ResMed AirFit P30i/N30i exhaust port asterisk 1 285 08-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.