Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
We returned our SoClean for two reasons. First, it's just additional work. According to the manual that came with the SoClean, you still have to do all the regular cleaning. SoClean is just a supplement that doesn't replace any of the other cleaning. The other reason is that our sleep doctor told us to hold off on using it since there is some concern that the ozone may break down the foam that's in the CPAP machine, and you don't want to breathe in that stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a Soclean and noticed a substance floating in the water pan after I began using it. 
I wasn’t sure what that was until I saw a YouTube video where a guy showed how the ozone from the Soclean was eating away at one of the components of the cpap machine. 
I stopped using the Soclean and the floating particles went away.  Not good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 06:20 AM)onlyconnect Wrote: it's just additional work. According to the manual that came with the SoClean, you still have to do all the regular cleaning. SoClean is just a supplement that doesn't replace any of the other cleaning.

SoClean is marketed in such a clever way as to make the potential buyer think it's a substitute for cleaning. Advertising is just regulated lying.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife's former sleep doc would try to sell us a So-Clean every time we went to her office. She also refused to write a script for anything other than a DS-1. Needless to say we fired her.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Early on in my CPAP Therapy, a So-Clean was a possibility........until I found some discussion about it on this forum. 

I took a pass and haven't looked back.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I will share my opinion of cleaning methods.  It is just an opinion, so you can agree, disagree, or consider for a moment you are looking at this from a different point of view.  When I started PAP therapy 8 years ago I struggled for the first 7 years.  For the first 5 I had a CPAP with constant humidity issues.  My major concern was the moisture would be a breeding ground for germs.  I cleaned daily with soap and water trying to battle my fears.  I changed to a BiPAP machine with a heated hose.  Rainout in the tube disappeared.  The humidity issue improved greatly.  I used an ozone cleaner once a week until the Philips issue.  Ozone cleaning was not new to me.  I used ozone in two different hot tubs for over 10 years, and it worked very well.  If I decided to buy a used machine, I would disinfect it with ozone before I used it.  But for me personally, I no longer feel it is necessary to use ozone and I prefer to avoid the risk.  In a PAP machine, I do believe ozone is corrosive, and deteriorates silicone, sound abating foam, and other parts of the machine.  It is a strong disinfectant that I would use only if I purchased a used machine.  

With my current machine and setup, I clean with soap and water once a week.  I think the key is to keep everything dry.  I empty the water chamber each morning and allow the parts to dry completely.  I leave the lid on the humidifier open during the day.  I wipe down the mask every day, and I make sure the mask and hose have an opportunity to dry out.  The part I am most concerned about is the rubber gasket under the humidifier lid.  Sometimes that area gets damp and is difficult to keep dry.  

I am convinced the key is keeping things dry.  Nobody comes near my machine but me.  I do not want to share anyone else's germs via PAP.  If I were still having rainout/moisture problems, I think I would use a Hurricane dryer to keep everything dry.  This method is working well for me.  Best of luck to everyone.  Thanks for sharing.  Happy holidays!
Post Reply Post Reply
My anecdotal update experience and report....

I started using a SoClean 2 machine shortly after I started CPAP around the end of July 2018.    In almost 4 years since receiving it, I have only missed about 4 nights without CPAP - both machines have been used EVERY day since then, with the SoClean exception of overnight trips and once for a period of 10 weeks away from home and no way to bring SoClean with me, about 3 months after I got it.  I do travel with my CPAP machine, though. 

Those 10 weeks away taught me how fast the mask and hose can get scummy without ozone treatment from the SoClean, requiring thorough cleaning and drying at least weekly.  Once I returned home, I cleaned them manually one last time and returned to SoClean.  That was over 3 years ago and daily use of my old cleaning machine keeps them odor-free and fresh in between replacements (which I do well beyond the time "recommended" by the people who want to sell me replacement parts).  I have not done even one manual cleaning of the machine, mask or hose since Dec 2018, except changing machine air filters and dusting the exterior.

My ResMed AutoSet 10 CPAP machine is still working silently and perfectly; no degradation in performance, funny noises or bits of foam floating in the water - I have a feeling the scare campaign about those problems is confined to specific CPAP makes and/or models and yes, I know ozone is an oxidizer and can degrade things not built to resist it.  I've used an ozone generator in a hot tub as well, so I know how it works.

By the way, I don't waste money on the expensive filters from SoClean; I use 1/2" activated-charcoal filter foam ($10 is a lifetime supply of that), cut to fit into the filter holder, and have never needed to replace the aquarium backflow-prevention valve.  I'm also leery of the new SoClean model, which now seems to be DRM-locked to use only manufacturer filters and lock the owner into expensive replacements - not sure about that, but that's how I read the marketing info and specs.  I used to be a marketing weasel and engineer; their claims of "protecting us" from "counterfeit" filters just makes me cringe.  I need to research the hackability of the new model, in case I ever need to replace my model 2 unit.

Opinions differ here, obviously, and some are quite heated, but this is my experience and honest report with no conflicts of interests.  I'm just a customer of all this stuff.  Take that for what it's worth, but for me SoClean works extremely well and even though not cheap, has been an excellent value over the years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim, FYI Resmed updated their warranty in January 2020 https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...letter.pdf :

Warranty update: Effective for sales of ResMed machines on or after February 1, 2020, ResMed’s limited
warranty will exclude damage to ResMed machines caused by use of ozone devices. The limited warranty
on ResMed masks, with the exception of ResMed AirTouch™ products, will not be affected.

Your choice and your risk, but this pre-dates the recall of the Philips machines for degradation of the PUR foam. Anyone using ozone disinfection does so in explicit violation of their manufacturer's recommendations and machine warranty regardless of manufacturer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Readers of this thread should be aware that SoClean recommends regular manual cleaning of CPAP components.
From FAQ section (page 25) of the SoClean 2 users manual (search SoClean 2 users manual)
11. My mask feels oily, what should I do? Skin can leave oil behind on your sleep equipment so you should always hand-wash your equipment as recommended by the manufacturer. You may use the provided Neutralizing Pre-Wash or wipe your mask with SoClean’s Mask Wipes.
12. How often should I wash my sleep equipment?
As environmental conditions vary (age of equipment, humidity levels, etc), there is no single answer that applies to all cases. Most manufacturers recommend daily maintenance which
is how SoClean 2 helps. When it comes to hand washing your sleep equipment you should still do so as residue becomes visible (which is typically weekly). You can use our Neutralizing Pre-wash or a dye-free, fragrance-free dish soap. Always follow your manufacturers instructions.

This is not surprising. As a microbiologist with decades of experience using a variety vapor sanitizing agents I now that, although they are excellent for inactivating bacteria and viruses, they are not effective cleaners. They do no remove organic or inorganic residues. Also they do not penetrate residues effectively to kill mocroorganisms  in or under the residues.  For this reason it is standard practice to thoroughly clean equipment prior to sanitizatoon or sterilization.

Given the extremely low risk of infection from manually cleaned CPAP components I see no need for a higher level of sanitization such as provided by SoClean. For that reason I disagree with your conclusion that SoClean is an excellent value. As Sleeprider said, it is your choice.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Are you just cleaning your mask & hose with the SoClean, or are you piping the ozone through the airpath of your cpap machine, too? The way that I understand the warranty it's piping ozone through your machine that they don't want you to do.

The place that I got mildow on my Air10 was the gasket between the water tank and the base of the hose. I'm skeptical that pumping ozone through there would have done any good, and don't see how that could have worked without running ozone through the whole machine.

(A couple of minutes with a q-tip worked just fine on the mildew, with way less expense and fuss.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I cannot stand cleaning this thing SleepyAF 8 281 09-30-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] How frequently to you do a deep mask cleaning? seepapnyc 9 375 09-15-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 11 1,859 09-13-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Anyone use CPAP sanitizing machines? sleepingbetterinFl 6 291 09-09-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Cleaning advice needed for Resmed p30i AshSF 2 211 08-28-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Holiday/Vacation Usage Importance & Cleaning...... beetee 12 604 08-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: beetee
  [Equipment] Cleaning ResMed AirFit P30i/N30i exhaust port asterisk 1 285 08-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.