Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Soft palate dropping help. Suggestions?
Soft palate dropping help. Suggestions?
I deal with insomnia as it is but now my soft palate relaxes and drops on to the back of my tongue as soon as I start to fall asleep. The noise it makes alone keeps me up and creates much anxiety knowing that I can’t relax or the noise will happen. I bought a Resmed 10, have it set to 7 but feel like it’s hard to breathe, especially when I wake in the middle of the night, feels like my chest is tight and can’t get enough air. I tried setting it to auto but the fluctuations made it harder for me and I feel the higher the pressure the more air I swallow. Been using it for about 2 weeks and struggling. Has anyone had this palate issue, have CPAP recommendations or tried the MAD jaw device ? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Soft palate dropping help. Suggestions?
That "finding it hard to breathe" happens to me when my settings are too low. However, I'm not a settings person, and setting them randomly without skill is a non-starter. No doubt someone will be right along. But don't fiddle with them yourself until you get input!

In the meantime, check (or get) an SD card for your machine. You will use it to record your sleep every night. The free Oscar software reads that data. Follow the board directions exactly for posting Oscars, and post a few nights.

Our breathing apparatus can go weird in the night, but let's see if the Oscars give some clarity. Sometimes, something as minor as a different pillow can change the dynamic.
Post Reply Post Reply
What exactly are your settings?  If you are using 7-7 it could well be that you need to switch to apap to have a range of pressure.  Do download and post from Oscar, but in the meantime try setting 7-11.  That setting is pretty narrow, so unlikely to cause you discomfort.  Please give it a try. Smile

Also, try to relax. You are still early in your pap use. It's common to feel uncomfortable with a foreign object strapped to your face and air blowing up your nose. Things will get better, and eventually sleeping with your machine helping your breathing will feel perfectly normal.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using EPR with cpap set at 7cm, this would be too low of a pressure if it's set to EPR 3 but in my own usage of cpap mode I need higher pressure so I'd raise it from 7cm to 9cm keep EPR or non EPR where it's at and try it for a few nights, it should help with keeping your airway open if you're not chin tucking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  personal effect of soft cervical collar eok361 5 245 09-26-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 12 2,591 09-13-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Therapy Suggestions Keesh23 11 539 09-12-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Airsense 10 replacement: suggestions? newmar 7 377 09-11-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Suggestions? TinySteve 11 506 09-02-2024, 08:50 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New User - Looking For Suggestions VeryTired 13 493 09-01-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: VeryTired
  [Pressure] suggestions for settings Ksquared716 1 176 08-27-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.