Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Mysterious Arousals
RE: Mysterious Arousals
(04-19-2024, 04:50 PM)BigWing Wrote: The main correlation I am seeing is between oxygen changes and arousals. In other words, most of the noticeable changes in my SpO2 graph - both up and down - coincide with an arousal (usually, but not always, without awakening). I guess that suggests some sort of positional obstruction is going on, though I'd expect that to affect what the CPAP machine sees in terms of flow restrictions and events - yet I don't think it does.

i see this also - i record my position with SomnoPose and whenever i turn, of course there is an associated arousal. in turn i see central apneas on the CPAP right after the position change, and a drop in O2 sat - a series of drops of decreasing amplitude. sometimes i get down to 85% on the first one when this happens. the sequence of drops lasts maybe 20 seconds, 30 tops.

i see the same O2 drops if i'm not wearing the cpap and they correlate with the position change/arousal. i think i read somewhere these are called "transitional apneas" and are thought to be normal as your brain transitions from "awake breathing" to "sleep breathing" which are driven by different physiological processes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the result of the quick sniff and simultaneous sharp wrist turn.

[Image: yatZh61.png]

Soon after that, you can also see me flagging the fact that I had settled down onto my RIGHT side, with 5 quick sniffs (RIGHT contains 5 letters; I do 4 quick sniffs for LEFT side).
Post Reply Post Reply
I hadn't heard of SomnoPose - I must try that.

Here is an example of the most typical arousals I see, showing a sudden breakup of the normal Flow Rate pattern accompanied immediately by a sizeable Movement spike - then followed several seconds later by a spike in the Pulse Rate. These occur maybe 20-30 times per night and usually have no effect on the SpO2 level, but occasionally do (maybe 4-6 of them).

[Image: douviwD.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I now have SomnoPose and it is wonderful! I hadn't realised how often and how much I was turning during arousals without awakening.

Here is an example. I flag the Flow Rate chart with sniffs whenever I wake, so I know for sure that only the final movement in this Orientation chart, at 3:35am – as I turn from my right side (+90°) to my left side (-90°) – was deliberately done while I was awake.

All the rest of the turns – e.g. the big one at 1:50am from +125° to 30°! – coincide with arousals which don't wake me. I now worry about all the time I seem to spend close to supine, which as most people know is not ideal!

As an example, you can see in the Flow Rate chart that the 10 minutes I spent at 30° produced very curtailed breathing (with shapes reminiscent of that caused by Palatal Prolapse, actually).

[Image: arousal-turns.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypnic jerks, Is what came to mind when I saw the video. There are several NIH articles that discuss cause and concerns.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get something similar.

When mask is off I get lots of drops in HR and SpO2.  When on I get lots of HR spikes and O2 is stable.

I wake up unrefreshed and with sore shoulders, so suspect that's related.  However unlike you I have a F20 full face mask, with a nasal mask I get woken when my mouth open.  Also, my sleep tracking watch shows lots of awakenings.  

Tempted to get a night camera - what did you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any update on this? I'm going through something very similar, unexplainable deep breaths and arousals, with little to no AHI

apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Adamby1047-Bi-PAP-therapy-advice

Here's some background on my end. I'm stumped as well. xPAP doesn't seem to do much for me, no matter what I do I consistently get these weird arousals every 15 mins, and its making my life miserable. I'm thinking the only other option I have is a sleep induced endoscopy to see what's going on. I don't really know after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, still haven't found a solution. But I made a discord server for this type of UARS, and I'm currently inviting people online who have experienced something similar. Here is the link https://discord.gg/vg9gaHkg
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHI but many arousals, crappy sleep. snewmy 3 307 09-17-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Help Needed to Understand Arousals ravman 3 317 09-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ravman
  [CPAP] Help determining cause of arousals coutherino 0 251 08-18-2024, 06:15 AM
Last Post: coutherino
  optimizing pressure for CA's and arousals Tom Tranquilo 11 772 07-11-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Tom Tranquilo
  Does 10 EEG arousals/hour mean sleep apnea? BigWing 0 234 06-12-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Accumulation of mucus causes arousals? opo218 2 375 05-31-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [split] 0.00 AHI with a lot of arousals. What's next? Boudou123 19 822 05-30-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.