Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR?
Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR?
Hey all, 

I've been using my CPAP for ~7 months at this point in time, I have very good compliance often wearing the mark consistently for 7-9 hours of sleep per night. 

Unfortunately despite my high compliance I'm waking up every day feeling extremely tired and having a general sense of confusion/brain fog. I feel like I can't critcally think as I could a few years ago and have a general feeling of "being out of it". 

It would be great if some of the CPAP veterans on this forum could have a look at my OSCAR results and let me know if you see anything that could use tweaking. From an AHI perspective things seem to be going well with an average of <1 per night, however I know that's quite a crude measure of overall therapy success. 

I'm using the Philips Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Head and an Airsense 10 Autoset. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR?
Your results are near perfect as far as low AHI, and low leak rate. But there are a couple things to be aware of.

The leak rate graph does show some spikey areas which suggest mask movement.
That may happen if you move around a lot.

And even though the 95% flow limitation is low, look at the FL graph and line it up with the pressure graph. You can see where the FL causes the pressure to rise.
This is disruptive to sleep.

An adjustment that might help. Set your minimum pressure to 7cm. This will allow you to receive the full benefit of EPR. EPR and the higher pressure should tamp down any Flow limitation and hopefully keep your pressure from spiking.

Repost after a night or two.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR?
Thank you, I've made those adjustments and will see how I go over the next two days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Checking back one day in - no difference at all. Will check back in tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go ahead and post a current Screenshot.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just like you.. How are you these days?
Post Reply Post Reply
We were having similar problems, last fall we had a respiratory illness hit our household, everyone tested negative for Covid and Flu. After a couple of months i happened to catch a low SpO2 reading on my mom. After a further check all four of us had low SpO2. Luckily only my mom ended up on supplemental O2, the rest of us responded to the audible and vibratory alarms reminding us to inhale (sounds like a blond joke coming) so we could restore our SpO2. It has been 7 months now and we have improved a lot but still have the alarms going off several times each day.

May not hurt to check your SpO2. It's cheap and easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
As UnicornRider mentions it's a great idea to check sp02 via something like a wellue o2 ring to give you more data to aid you in uncovering what's causing your daytime sleepiness & brainfog. Another possibility is REM fragmentation which the Apple Watch does a pretty good job at picking up on. I'm using the Apple Watch SE w/ the latest Watch OS and it's helping me tune my own therapy for better results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [CPAP] OSCAR Metrics. I Need Help - Brain Fog TylerM27 2 237 08-14-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Feeling terrible ctenanthe 7 336 08-01-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TECSA and ASV - Feel terrible even with 0 AHI jordache16 5 322 07-11-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: jordache16
  Are my sp02 results low? Newbie with Brain Fog Needing help pierrecohenmusic 4 396 06-14-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: pierrecohenmusic
  Feeling terrible help with treatment ttrani01 2 269 06-05-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: ttrani01
  Never ending tiredness Marcus007 3 361 04-21-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Marcus007
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 4,139 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.