Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why so many AHIs while awake?
Why so many AHIs while awake?
Started using my APAP machine early in March. It's been going pretty well lately, with OAs usually under 1. But every couple of weeks a have a night where the AHI jumps to around 10 or 12.

Last night, I realized I was fully awake at 1:30 AM. I think I started waking up around 1:00. Looking at my OSCAR data, I can see that there were continual AHIs -- mostly CAs -- the entire time I was awake. What would cause that to happen? I finally turned the machine off at 3:00 (because the mask was bothering me) and fell asleep right away. I've attached a screenshot.

I don't remember when I woke on those other high-AHI nights, but it looks like the same thing could have happened. It's not unusual for me to wake up in the wee hours and not be able to get back to sleep for several hours. Sometimes I get up and read; sometimes I don't, hoping I'll drift off again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why so many AHIs while awake?
I don't have a reason for all of the centrals...  Centrals are recorded when you pause in breathing for 10 seconds or longer.  I have never experienced many when awake.  I have had some tuning over in bed or pulling up the blanket.  If you have a nasal mask you could be breathing in and out your mouth and it would not record you trying to breath through your nose.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're certain you were awake, they're not actual Apnea. Breath pauses will be interpreted as CA, which I know I do frequently while awake. Breath pauses can be breath holding while adjusting body position, etc.

Awake breath patterns are quite irregular versus sleeping.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
People often pause between breaths when they're awake, e.g., when they're concentrating.  In general, awake breathing is a lot less regular than asleep breathing.  Also, if you're drifting in and out of a light sleep, you may be having a lot of arousal breathing, which is fairly often followed by a pause of 10 seconds or longer -- voila, a CA flag.  Below are some zoomed-in examples of arousals followed by CAs.  Bottom line: don't worry about the CAs, but do ask yourself why you aren't sleeping well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure I was awake the whole time because I kept wondering if I should get up. I don't breathe through my mouth at all... had to switch from a nasal to a full-face mask because I kept getting air leaking *into* my mouth from the pressure of the machine, which kept waking me and caused dry mouth. The only way I can stand the FF mask's silicone against my face is by using a homemade mask liner that completely covers my mouth. (That has worked out fine.)

I have been asking myself, for about 15 years, why I don't sleep well. Also asked my GP, which is when she ordered the sleep study.

Oh, well.... it's a mystery.  Thank you all for your replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may take a while for you to benefit fully from CPAP, and I hope that with time you'll sleep better more consistently. Meanwhile, you might want to review these guidelines for sound sleep:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dormeo. Most of these I'm already doing. Need to focus on the few that I haven't managed yet.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Help Identifying Awake Periods cyberfiche 5 249 09-29-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Used for 60 days, want to eliminate RERA/awake [Reposted with correct format] a29988122 7 495 09-20-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  week 4 - still can't get AHIs below 10 JacksonMahoney 2 204 09-18-2024, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Can someone help with AHI score for MyAir? It changes throughout the night awake. Joeyk74 1 221 09-12-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Pressure when awake antlane 2 192 09-06-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: antlane
  New User 1 week, still high AHis, thoughts? JacksonMahoney 4 233 08-31-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Aerophagia while awake? donsburg 4 344 08-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.