Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Are there any treatments for central apnea
Are there any treatments for central apnea
This got long so short version first

1. Any treatments for central sleep apnea?
.2  if you have a severe central apnea problem, for some complicating reason undiagnosable CA, maybe one you can feel the lack of drive to breathe in the daytime, it’s possible the combination of Remeron, abilify, and fluvoxamine could help you feel better for two years like it did me.  

My Story

Ive been extremely fatigued and unmotivated for over 25 years after a possible stroke. Like homeless person fatigue and motivation problems.  Mayo Clinic couldn’t help.  I’ve always believed it was central apnea. I’ve had 6 or 7 sleep studies and fell asleep only during one and part of a second one.  But they somehow always still diagnosed me with osa.  How if I wasn’t asleep for even one second.  You think that would be detectable with their machines, that a person isn’t asleep.  I’m not saying I fell asleep for what felt like ten minutes but turned out to be 4 hours.  I’m saying just as I write this letter, I haven’t, and don’t fall asleep.
 I used to read a little bit about central apnea, but it was always the same stuff. No new treatments. Is there anything for the treatment of central sleep apnea now.  This would be central apnea due to a stroke.  I forget to breath all day, even while awake, however you wouldn’t notice it because I also have severe dyspnea I believe (anxiety and panic of needing to breath) which kind of counteracts that, I feel.  However, that alarm that goes off in your head and tells you to breath is always going off and that’s what causes me to not get a good deep sleep, ever, I believe.  Just in case anyone out there has similar symptoms, my psychiatrist was ( in my opinion) a brilliant one and after trying over 20 meds and 26 sessions of electro convulsive therapy, he put me on Remeron, Abilify, and fluvoxamine and immediately (hours) my breathing was almost like it used to be.    In the days ahead, I kept feeling better, enough so that I was able to get a job for two years. Then it came back.
When I first took those meds, my breathing was was amazing, no forgetting to breath nor panic.  The first night I took them at bedtime.  I told myself if I breath naturally like this all night, I’m going to wake up and feel better.  And each day I felt a little better.  I think that is all.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are there any treatments for central apnea
The gold standard for treating CA is the ASV machine. 

I cannot comment on the medications and how it may or may not be affecting you. That is a question for your doctors.

Without seeing the sleep study results we cannot guess what was seen during one. While it may feel like you did not fall asleep, the sleep study would show what actually happened. Without seeing either the sleep study or OSCAR charts, it is impossible to diagnose not only CA, but sleep apnoea as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
The gold standard for Central Apnea treatment is ASV, my personal choice is ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. The exception would be treatment emergent Central Apnea, which should diminish in about 3 months.

I don't have comments about the medications.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Machines with "back up rates" (like the ASV) will provide (force) a breath by increasing pressure support when a person stops breathing due to CA's, etc.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion on alternate treatments for sleep apnea Breathworker 54 1,481 Today, 07:28 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Anybody have CPAP success for central apnea who live at altitude? shallbreathe 11 204 07-31-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 25 4,051 07-28-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP-induced central apneas? nycteach 11 436 07-21-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  Central apnea and EEG Mark Sullivan 5 226 07-13-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Am I really having central apnea? KittyCatNapper 6 310 07-13-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] How to reduce central apnea? cyjatoronto 3 358 06-29-2024, 05:57 PM
Last Post: cyjatoronto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.