Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] insomeapnea - Therapy Advice
RE: OSCAR is showing partial waves
When leaks get above a certain threshold (I think 24L/Minute), the machine can't correctly detect them.  The leaks have to be reduced.  Here are some tips and I hope that they help your therapy:

Mask Primer
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the high to very high leaks must be addressed. At times it's approaching the leak level of full open hose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can we discern REM sleep stages from OSCAR data?
The answer above is essentially correct, but with some 'splainin', if you don't mind.  Generally, REM sleep is a period where the body is 'supposed to be' fully relaxed and incapable of involuntary movement, but this isn't strictly true.  As well, depending on the subject of the dream, there might be increased respiration rate and tidal volume, but not strictly so, not for all individuals.  So, you need to figure out how to develop a customized 'template' for your own PAP-recorded behavior during a typical night and find out where the REM took place, and what morphology changes are evident somewhat reliably in your breathing pattern and rate.  Even so, when ill, or stressed, or......your pattern can change enough that you won't be able to tell when you are in REM quite so easily.  You'd need a polysomnography....again.

All that aside, I would suggest you draw out the timeline of several nights to flatten the spikes in your breathing record and look for obvious changes of short duration approximately 80-100 minutes apart for the first four hours of sleep, and then see if they happen more frequently in the last 90 minutes of each sleep record where most of us dream two, even three times!  If you see such a distinct pattern, then you can safely assume that is where you are dreaming and can use that as a marker for every night's record. 

In your OSCAR readout, you can put your cursor over the wave details and click repeatedly to spread out the waves for more discrete information.  That will help you to spot those short-term changes indicating REM in all probability, especially at the intervals I mentioned in the previous paragraph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deal with the leaks and then assess. There’s no way to evaluate Oscar decisively with that leakage.

You can read other threads here for leak solutions, or look up LankyLefty on YT. IMO he has some odd humor, but is very skilled, and knows how to fix issues that happen to real users. He demonstrates, too. As a noob, he answered many of what I thought were stoopid questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you explain what you mean by "draw out the timeline of several nights", please?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohmy 
How can I tell sleep from awake breathing with OSCAR? 

My Polysomnography detectet zero REM periods.[Image: ohmy.gif]
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Why Dr. doesn't want to prescribe you ASV due to Congestive Heart Failure?
Eat-popcorn
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: insomeapnea - Therapy Advice
insomeapnea  -  All your threads are related to your therapy.  For this reason, I have merged them.  This provides the reader a history of your past settings and results.  Having the ability to see past attempts and their results will help to form better recommendations.  Please use this thread for all your therapy related posts. I have changed the thread title to, insomeapnea - Therapy Advice to be more inclusive.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's been some question of yours on ASV. Is the question regarding the SERVE-HF study, that is known to be flawed, and disqualifying some in need of CA treatment?

I don't think yet we've gotten to the sleep study. It is where? Please post it in detail, redacted of personal info. If you don't have it, order it ASAP from the prescribing doctor. I think you're in the US, so HIPAA law states you request this, you get it. A doctor telling you "No you can't have it", isn't acceptable. In that case, report this doctor to your regional or local medical board.

Also if you're needing ASV, you'll need to request an echocardiogram. You'll also want that test result. Again you must expect to get it. The big area of data revolves around LVEF % of 45 or less, indicating failing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Sleep Study in on the first page of this thread, It was merged by the administrator.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 312 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  [Treatment] somniosus - Therapy Thread [new user looking for initial settings advice] somniosus 1 158 09-22-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  oscar advice deepsouthmike 4 229 09-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: deepsouthmike
  Need Advice -- Having A Lot of Issues npolite 3 299 09-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: npolite
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 280 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Seriously Need Mask Advice: Please Help LuminousOne 7 428 08-13-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Adamby1047 - Bi-PAP therapy advice Adamby1047 2 607 06-12-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.