Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding events and waveforms with OSCAR
Understanding events and waveforms with OSCAR
I just downloaded OSCAR and I am trying to work my way around it after telling my DME (or equivalent in Australia) that I just don't trust the numbers on the machine for AHI. After a year on CPAP I did an in lab sleep study half with no cpap half with cpap, but I don't think it was so representative of my normal sleeping.

I am wondering what these 7 non-labeled events (and one where the labeling seems off)  might be, they certainly look like disordered breathing to me. I have little experience with CPAP data, but I am a bioinformatican and have worked with biological time series data before.

Should these have been picked up by the device, and if not by the device then the User Flagged events? I made the UF1 and UF2 to have 4 second rather than 8 second periods to try to capture more events (at the risk of higher false positive).

Most of the UF1 and UF2 flags look like they are clearly something. Some are next to a cluster of machine recognized events, and some are around high leak areas, but I think it is quite clear to me that the AHI from the machine is an under estimate

The pressure is so high because I was sick and had a blocked nose. I need to keep track of which night I am using which mask to know if leaks are my full face mask coming off or me having my mouth open with a nasal mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding events and waveforms with OSCAR
Looks to me like normal sleep breathing whilst moving around. You take a deeper breath and hold it, hence the cardiogenic oscillations whilst holding your breath, move around to a comfortable position, then back to sleep breathing.

Without seeing the entire nights chart I cannot offer any settings to try. It is possible your pressure is too high and could be more comfortable at a lower pressure. Basically, we need to see the chart as defined in my signature link “Formatting OSCAR Charts”.

Also, those leaks are not helping. Do you wake up with a very dry mouth?

One other comment is it sounds like you are way over-analysing things. Take a breath, relax, don’t try to force things. We can help, but we need data to do so.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding events and waveforms with OSCAR
(06-16-2024, 07:42 AM)kidsinchildcarealwayssick Wrote: I just downloaded OSCAR and I am trying to work my way around it after telling my DME (or equivalent in Australia) that I just don't trust the numbers on the machine for AHI.

The numbers on the machine are all that OSCAR has to work with. OSCAR just gathers that data and displays it. It can show you nothing that the CPAP machine doesn't collect.

The CPAP machine has sensors for detecting pressure, flow rate, and time. Nothing more AFAIK, and so deduces everything from those three inputs.

A sleep study has a greater variety of sensors and so is capable of collecting more data. The problem, though, is that having all that equipment hooked up to us is unnatural, so in that sense we don't get a very good representation what's going on when the equipment is not hooked up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 17 446 8 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] Please help understanding OSCAR data; AHI 5.5 and still drowsy -_- twomashi 4 216 10-03-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 7 401 09-30-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: zood
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 216 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc
  24 CA events, I am practically worried. Ddobson85 4 181 09-30-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Understanding Trigger Sensitivity stevesleep 7 463 09-29-2024, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Newbie: CA events alangrima 3 195 09-25-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: alangrima

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.