Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Understanding sleep study results
Understanding sleep study results
Hey all,

I had a new sleep study done without cpap and would love some help understanding my sleep results. Basically I wanted to do a sleep study without a cpap machine to see how things stand for me. The notable thing I feel has changed is it didn't detect central apnea where previously I was diagnosed with it (mixed apnea) also I do recall 2 things on night of sleep study 1. I don't believe I slept that long 2. Definitely don't think I choked (which used to happen alot before) so maybe central didn't trigger that night. Otherwise I would love your take on my results and your thoughts around o2 results and length (11 min) which I don't understand 

Also snoring being 0 is a surprise as I do snore, and with that many obstructions, curious how it is that low

Thank u so much!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Understanding sleep study results
Would appreciate thoughts on this and if cpap vs asv seem right treatment for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
You had only a couple centrals so I think you would be fine with a ResMed AirCurve 10 or 11 Vauto.  That is the best cpap available right now.   I would not get the Resmed Airsense auto.  You will need the added settings of the AirCurve.  Have your Dr. prescribe it by name, then the DME will have to issue that type.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2024, 06:38 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You had only a couple centrals so I think you would be fine with a ResMed AirCurve 10 or 11 Vauto.  That is the best cpap available right now.   I would not get the Resmed Airsense auto.  You will need the added settings of the AirCurve.  Have your Dr. prescribe it by name, then the DME will have to issue that type.

Thanks alot,

What extra does aircurve vauto add? As I believe I have Airsense auto cpap now and could I ask them to hand me prescription so I can shop anything I want ?
Post Reply Post Reply
All ResMed machines are basically the same hardware it is the software in the machine that makes the difference. 

Her is a video that talks about the VAUTO. 

https://youtu.be/ts9lNJ2g1IE?si=fnCWkdbVaGgXzZmF
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Moemah123 Smile

Your o2 desaturations were of importance here and your severe OSA, you don't have mixed apnea in this study, as 2 CA events can be attributed to the variables, but your desats cannot.

I would suggest a standard cpap machine, you don't need a bilevel machine, but if you can get one I'd go that route and runit in cpap mode (fixed pressure mode)-you'll sleep better Smile

If you do go with a bilevel I'd go with any vendor except resmed (lowenstein, phillips-remediated, reactH) are better alternatives (I've had an ACvauto, a DSX700, and RHBL3).
Post Reply Post Reply
No ResMed, but get a machine that isn't as good, that isn't as proactive? No thanks.

For what it's worth, a prior RT of mine said that you'll want to stick with one brand of machine if possible. Each has a unique delivery of air that you've gotten used to. Starting over with a new machine AND another brand is setup to have issues.

Get another ResMed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not here  to argue with anyone.  A VAUTO is a bilevel and has the settings to use as a constant pressure(cpap) or as an advanced bipap machine. Anyone that can get the ResMed bilevel should.  Again, the difference is the software.  You pay more but it is a better machine with many more options to help with therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely get a ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto.  ResMed is the very best brand and the Vauto is the very best model unless you need an ASV or a Ventilator, which you don't need.  A huge majority of us strongly prefer the ResMed machines.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Moemah123,
Just curious what did the sleep center, DME or you physician suggest you use as a cpap device?
Also since you have the diagnoses and PSG results, I suggest you contact the lab and ask did they use a microphone to detect snoring if they did someone missed it. Snoring is also subjective the tech is supposed to listen to your snoring and document it on your notes. Also the 2 central apneas are nothing to be of concern about. You would need a lot more to qualify for a Bipap. Just my 2 cents worth on suggestion for questions. Are you going to have a titration slep study done? If so please post those results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user, looking for help understanding OSCAR Ksquared716 0 12 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Ksquared716
  New to OSCAR, need some help understanding my data sleepadventure 10 444 Today, 02:56 AM
Last Post: sleepadventure
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 103 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 187 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 195 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  A new study ischua 9 326 09-08-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  OSCAR Results Help Napnea4 4 182 09-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.