Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help with sleep study deciding on a new machine
help with sleep study deciding on a new machine
I’m feeling very confused and would appreciate some guidance.

Last month, I had a sleep study that showed a lot of central and obstructive apneas (https://imgur.com/a/lab-sleep-study-mbqRViP). However, my doctor didn’t mention the centrals and simply told me to get a CPAP. I’ve been using it for a month, and according to OSCAR, I barely see any centrals—maybe 1 per day, sometimes none, which confuses me a lot. Despite having a low AHI (always below 4), I’m still feeling tired, and my flow limitations and RERAs remain consistently high.

Do you think a lab sleep study is more reliable than OSCAR data, given that it uses EEG?

I’m wondering if I should trust the lab study more for detecting centrals and consider getting an ASV, skipping BiPAP, since I’ve already invested in an APAP and don’t want to waste more money.

LAB study :https://imgur.com/a/lab-sleep-study-mbqRViP
OSCAR data : https://imgur.com/a/mn6jVmM
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help with sleep study deciding on a new machine
I'm sorry I have no experience with the cpap you have. But your Flow Limits are high and that can cause you to wake up or not get into deep sleep. The ResMed models that I am know about use EPR (exhale Pressure Relief) or PS (pressure support) is what we use for Flow Limits. Check your manual for both terms and set your machine to the highest number for EPR or PS which ever your machine uses.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your feedback, but I’ve already lost hope in my APAP machine and am currently looking for a new one. Could you at least advise, based on my sleep study, whether I need an ASV or a BiPAP VAuto?
Post Reply Post Reply
If that linked test results were your diagnostic, you have almost equal Central to Obstructive at 45, 42 consecutive. You may be best served with ASV then if you have to buy your own machines.

Going by your CPAP charts, CA were low each session from what I could see. I think Hypopnea and flow limits were high each time, indicates needing more pressure and pressure support from a bilevel or EPR exhale relief. However this may setup an increase in CA, which this machine cannot treat if this does happen.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your input but I wonder why OSCAR not showing my Centrals as the sleep study showed.
Since I’m planning to go and buy an ASV, do I need to do any tests beforehand? I’ve read that some heart tests are required. I’m 32 and healthy, but I’m unsure about the potential consequences of using an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
check out https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16552275...intubation.

and
https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articl...-2001-3003
which in part reads: "This study used echocardiography to demonstrate that even a brief application of BiPAP results in favorable hemodynamic changes, including increased cardiac output."

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Echocardiogram is typically either suggested or required. It will focus of the left ventricle ejection fraction or LVEF %. I had an ASV and do have a heart timing condition called Pulmonary Ventricular Contraction (PVCs).

Before being issued an ASV, my LVEF was 55%, with 45% and lower as the cutoff. After using ASV for 2 years my LVEF went to 63%.

I am not currently using ASV as apparently my CA are lower and COPD and ASV didn't play well with each other.

If you had a heart condition that ASV might make in any way worse, you'd probably know you're not in good health. At least ask doctor to be sure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks ill definitely ask my doctor just to be sure
Post Reply Post Reply
It is recommended that you take your positive pressure ventilator to the sleep laboratory for another night. It will become clear where the problem is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 5 118 5 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Need help in deciding on mask arc0509 4 131 09-16-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 89 09-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 175 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  A new study ischua 9 306 09-08-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New here - Post Sleep Study Question Tenley 4 963 09-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] starting to use CPAP without sleep study/data help Fantasieimpromptu 2 166 09-03-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.