Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A new study
A new study
I had to get a new sleep study done because of changes to my health for the best I had dropped the settings from 18 and 24 to 13 and 18. I have been able to keep my AHI to basically under two sense June. My new study says that I should be using a setting of 15 as a CPAP now. My question is what is the difference? I mean I understand. CPAP is constant pressure and Bipap has a high and low. Is that all there is to it? And how hard is it to change the VPAPauto to a cpap   Tonight will be my first night with the new settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A new study
In short, there can be a pretty drastic difference between bilevel and fixed CPAP. Switching is as simple as going into your clinical menu and changing the mode. Not saying one thing over another, but as someone who helps patients with PAP every day, a lot of titration studies are half-baked efforts / come to incorrect conclusions. Could perfectly well not be the case for you, however. Just food for thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll be OK with the VAuto you have in my opinion. Remember if insurance will help pay, you enter a 13 month rental again with copay.

As for CPAP vs bilevel, yes it's possible CPAP will be 1 pressure, but ResMed AutoSet also has a range plus EPR to reduce for exhale. This sounds like bilevel too. VAuto might be more comfortable with its added abilities.

Besides, 13-18 is near the top of CPAP settings already. And if you need higher, it's not there. Nope I wouldn't switch machines.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right now my AHI stays under 3 with the settings I have now. I'm afraid to mess things up. I know how to change the settings but I'm not sure what the settings should be other that what the doctor said (cpap and set to 15) I cant get a copy of the report till next week to see whats on it. should I wait till I get it or just drop the pressure to 15 and leave the EPR at 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
You should sleep better on the new mode @ 15cm, but you can use the AC10/AC11 bipap in s mode where the epap pressure is locked and can't slide up as it does in vauto mode.

If you're going to try cpap mode I'd suggest going to 15cm @ 1 EPR or off completely, but it will likely be too much pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I switched to CPAP mode last night. I struggled at first feeling like I couldn't exhale but let it proceed. I think I had a better nights sleep but I am going to need more than one night. Charts are for the last 2 nights one is VPAP the other is CPAP  If you cane give me any insights I would be grateful.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Since your machine is a Vauto, you can increase your pressure support. I can't see what you are currently using, but I suggest you turn it up at least 1 from wherever you have it set. That should help with exhaling.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious why you changed your pressure support from 4.8 to 3. This may be why you experienced a different "feel" with the new settings. You also wound up with more flow limitations, though perhaps that didn't make a difference to the soundness of your sleep.

I'd suggest you return to VAuto mode and set your EPAP min = 11, IPAP max = 15, with PS of 4. With these settings, you'll always have an EPAP pressure of 11 and an IPAP pressure of 15. See if that feels a bit better to you.

It's fine to ignore this suggestion, of course, or to prefer using your current settings another few night before deciding whether to make a change.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only settings I changed were the VPAP to CPAP  and setting the pressure to 15. I have no idea why the pressure support changed from 4.8 to 3.
 I will go back to the Vauto settings tonight with the epap at 11 and the ipap at 15 with a ps of 4. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You can turn EPR on with cpap mode enabled, your chart looks good on cpap mode, I'd give it another night with EPR on @ 1 this will help with exhalation.. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 0 35 3 hours ago
Last Post: Moemah123
  [Health] redoing my sleep study: weight loss, medication, etc. and insurance? human 1 57 Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Last Post: human
  help with sleep study deciding on a new machine georgesadam 8 141 09-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Last Post: williamwu1107
  LAB sleep study help - feeling hopeless and lost georgesadam 5 166 09-13-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: georgesadam
  New here - Post Sleep Study Question Tenley 4 957 09-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] starting to use CPAP without sleep study/data help Fantasieimpromptu 2 160 09-03-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 179 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.