Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What mask do you find is best for you?
What mask do you find is best for you?
I have used a variety of Resmed masks for the last few years.  Unfortunately the ones I have used all seem to have problems in comfort or economics.  I need to use a full face mask because of mouth breathing. I used the F20 for quite some time.  Unfortunately it tends to leak around the bridge of my nose and blows air into my eyes.  If I tighten the straps enough to prevent that the mask becomes painful over the bridge of my nose.  I like both the F30 and  F30i but the cushions only last for about 3 weeks.  After that they begin to leak around the nose which causes a loud noise which disturbs my wife.  I would like to think that the cushions should last longer and I have tried different approaches to washing and not washing them.  I would like to find a mask that is comfortable, effective and lasts at least a month or more. Any suggestions would be welcome. Maybe there are other masks that users love.  I hate to just start trying masks on a whim at $130 a pop.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What mask do you find is best for you?
raylock1,

I too have used the F20, F30 and F30i, amongst others. I normally use one of the readily available lint-free CPAP wipes to clean my cushion each morning. I am very careful in touching and cleaning the thin, soft silicone parts of the cushions since they appear to be quite delicate. However, My cushions seem to last forever. After months of use, they still perform with little issue other than the silicone starts to discolor slightly.

After about 4 to 5 weeks I get a little leakage around the edges of the cushion that seems to be easily resolved with a slight tightening of the headgear. It definitely stretches over time. I'm currently using the F30i. But all the others seem to have followed the same pattern of continued use as I have outlined above.

You didn't mention how your masks fail - silicone rips, silicone delaminates from the hard plastic, or just a leakage issue? How exactly are you cleaning your masks? More detailed info on your mask failures would help in figuring out a solution.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Raylock1,

Two months ago they gave me a Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset and a Resmed P10. It sort of worked, but with a lot of leaks. At first I thought this was because of me, being new tot PAP and having to get used to it. 

It didn't get better with the leaks, so they gave me a Resmed P30i. This was worse, couldn't sleep with it at all.

Getting fed up with the slowness of the professionals, I bought an F&P Opus. No leaks anymore, my AHI count dropped like a stone. The nose pillows are just about perfect, the headgear just shy of perfect. So I bought the new Phlips 3100SP with the smaller and softer headgear.  Unfortunately in the wrong size. I am waiting for the right size to appear in the mail.

After a small pressure adjustment I now sleep with the Opus. It is good enough for now.

I am a stomach sleeper with full beard. 

Sleep well
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='471809' dateline='1680408951']
You didn't mention how your masks fail - silicone rips, silicone delaminates from the hard plastic, or just a leakage issue? How exactly are you cleaning your masks? More detailed info on your mask failures would help in figuring out a solution.
[/quote]

The silicone masks do not seem to fail in a way that is visually apparent.  They just begin to leak around the nose.  When that happens the mask becomes very noisy.  When I clean them I use Dawn and warm water.  I have tried just not cleaning them and they seem to last a little longer.  With the F20 air touch the soft material does not delaminate from the hard plastic.  Air just begins to leak around the bridge of the nose.  I can fix that for a while by tightening the straps but after a while it causes the bridge of the nose to hurt.  Again I have tried to use wipes and just not do anything.  Both seem to equally ineffective.  I do use a chin strap to try to reduce the dry mouth again with very limited success.   All that sounds negative, but thankfully the ASV machine gets me a good nights sleep.  I just have to change cushions too frequently.  Thanks for your comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will look into the F&P Opus
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anybody use the Resmed Mirage Liberty mask?  Is appears to be a combined nasal and full face mask.  Any thoughts on this mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the Resmed Airfit F10 at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without a doubt the Fisher & Paykel Vitera blows all others away for me from a Full Facemask perspective. Honestly, life changing in managing leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ordered the F&P Vitera and the Mirage Liberty from the first supplier on the vendor list.  Will see what happens.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
i have read the liberty is supposed to be getting discontinued from RES med , so if you like id suggest picking up as many masks and parts while stil available
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 400 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me find correct pressure? Wwvx 4 232 08-15-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to find Indepth PAP therapy analysis? PappaJoe 14 714 08-07-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Used resmed 10 [how to find usage hours] Justbreath 6 5,846 07-13-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] Issues with dry mouth waking me up since raising pressure, can't find good solution jlpool 2 447 05-01-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: MoreBeers
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 772 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 3,138 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.