Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What was your experience fighting mouth leaks?
RE: What was your experience fighting mouth leaks?
I *might* have figured out why I've been getting air in my mouth despite taping my mouth and seeming to keep my tongue planted on the roof of my mouth -- fingers crossed. I think my mistake was closing my jaw all the way, with teeth touching. That let air in around the sides, even while I was awake in bed. Last night I let my jaw open a little, so the sides of my tongue touch my cheeks, and had zero leaks. I'm not sure if this is relevant or what is normal, but I have a wide tongue and narrow palate, so my tongue does not fit easily inside my teeth.

Even with the right tongue position, I expect I will continue to need something to keep my jaw from dropping wide open; I have my whole bed at an angle to fight GERD, so gravity tends to pull my jaw down. Right now, mouth tape is doing the job. I've been cutting little holes in it to let air escape when it does get in, since it's air buildup in my mouth that wakes me, not leaks. Still waiting on the Myotape.

The Knightsbridge Dual Chin Strap was a bust. It dug into the top of my neck in a way I found incredibly uncomfortable, much worse than any full-face mask I've tried. It fits me the same way it fits their models, so I think I must just be sensitive to pressure there. I also found myself fighting hard to open my jaw a little -- again, tongue doesn't fit. I didn't try to sleep with it on. I may try to knit myself something with the same shape but a softer material. Other chin straps make it harder to breathe by shoving my jaw backwards.

Anyway, all in all, things have gotten a lot better. The biggest change is that I learned to sleep quite soundly through leaks not long after making this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
p in ny

Yes, great point about teeth NOT clenched !

I read about that somewhere in last month or so, it was a great tip for me, i believe it helps rid of some OA events.

Glad to see you made some progress, even if it was just eliminating the chin strap, just another road travelled.

Also, the squirrel cheek symptom , that MYOTAPE allows to exhaust, is very important according to Patrick McKeown.

The buildup is due to OA event, probably due to blockage ofsome type in the nasal pathway, that does not allow air to escape.
So the MYOTAPE allows that air to escape, but you close your lips after that and continue on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having trouble with mouth leaks, even though I was taping my mouth completely. I got the SomnoSeal, and it completely stopped mouth leaks. I do have to completely tape my mouth over it, though. Otherwise, it slips around and starts to come out, waking me up. I use kinesiology tape.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leaks with Brevida pillow mask Ticman1 11 3,918 1 hour ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Are these leaks okay? bettyryan 3 163 4 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Mouth Taping Dave77 3 81 Yesterday, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Dave77
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 21 1,129 Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  is the answer to this data mouth tape? p4ncaketim 3 168 10-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 36 4,501 10-03-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 216 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.