Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

clenching teeth, biting tongue
RE: clenching teeth, biting tongue
(04-08-2024, 09:50 AM)UnicornRider Wrote: I started taking Magnesium supplements on the recommendation of my dentist

I'm not a big supplement person, I've always been told they mostly just give you expensive pee. I do take a prescription vitamin D supplement for a severe deficiency, so for all I know my magnesium is low too. I ordered a magnesium fizzy drink mix and started taking it two nights ago (my understanding is to take it before bed?). I have stopped wearing the bite guard because I think it was just giving me something to chomp (and it's a newer one that was like $300 from my dentist ). Anyway, I feel pretty good so far and crossing my fingers that magnesium is the answer. Thanks so much for the tip!
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know how it works out for you, the product I use is a berry flavored "sleep powder" by youtheory.  It does have other sleep inducing ingredients which happen to be the same ingredients in the calming tablets I get for the dogs when fireworks are expected, so it must be good. Too-funny

I also take Valerian root, you have to smell it to make sure it is the good stuff, it should smell somewhat similar but not totally unlike the week old gym socks that your teenage packs around in their sports bag. You'll know once you get a good batch. Maybe other people have a more descriptive smell experience.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If your bite guard is hard plastic…..Mine had to be shaved down by the dentist every once in a while because I’d get headaches. It was sort of like having one filling too high, forcing your jaw to stay fixed in place (which causes more grinding), when it should move freely. He’d shave it down a bit, and I’d be good to go. He’d use that carbon paper piece to figure out where my teeth were hitting.

You might also have worn down some jaw cartilage. I had to have mine replaced.

If you have an upper bite guard, you could try a lower one, or vice versa. At one point, I had upper and lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used an upper bite guard for years, but when I started getting headaches, my dentist suggested I try just a lower for a while, and them maybe add in an upper too if needed. I'm not doing great with the lower he made, although I can go back and have him adjust it for sure. Maybe I'll try upper and lower to see how that goes. I stopped using the bite guard about a week ago, but I'm still waking up in the night with headaches, unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teeth , braces and tongue thrust Bluesv6 3 228 08-01-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Fisher & Paykel Simplus - Have you experienced teeth or jaw issues? jh1111 3 194 07-31-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Tongue Retainer compatible with CPAP? Unkikonki 0 165 07-22-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Unkikonki
  Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)? SteveIsTired22 2 239 06-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Tongue Stabilizing Device (TSD) for Mouth Puffing? Unkikonki 5 579 05-27-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Unkikonki
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 8 796 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 715 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.