Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

epr and cheynes stokes
epr and cheynes stokes
I have been on apap since late 2021.  In general I have had good results with a pressure from 10.4 to 14.2 and an EPR of 3.  My average AhI is around 3 where about half of the apneas are central.  In mid-2022, I decided I wanted to try to get better results and I reduced the EPR to 2.  On days 7,8, and 12, around 5% of the night was flagged as Cheynes Stokes respiration.  On day 13, over 10% of the night was CS.  My AHI average was not improved over my 13 day trial and I went back to an EPR of 3.  

I do not have a heart condition and my sleep doctor was emphatic that I was not a candidate for bilevel.  

I have seen some recent youtube videos by Nicko where Dr. Noah is saying that EPR, while it can be good for comfort, it is bad for therapy and they no longer use it in their medical center.  A new Kcap is under development that gives more pressure at the end of exhalation and reduces inspiration pressure.  

I've been feeling more tired lately and I would like to improve my therapy if possible by reducing EPR.  However, I have heard that EPR is also a poor man's bilevel.  

Is the fact that I was getting CSR flags when reducing EPR significant?  With an EPR of 3 I very very rarely get a cs flag and if there is one, it is only for a short period of time. 

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: epr and cheynes stokes
If you don't have heart failure, then most likely when you decreased EPR, your machine falsely flagged Periodic breathing as CSR.  When a person decreases EPR who has been using it, more periodic breathing episodes can occur.  This would most likely be what is happening.  Long story short:  you seem to do better with EPR.  

There are a few other things that can cause CSR though.  Read this from our wiki to make sure none apply to you:   
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that it is probably a false flag. Is it possible to wean myself off EPR?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR helps to reduce flow limitations.  It is a definite balancing act for sure.  You could try therapy without an EPR, with EPR 1, 2, and 3, and see which OSCAR charts look the best, and most importantly, how you feel in the morning after sleep.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes Fixit50 2 160 09-26-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  Oscar Missing Apneas or Cheyne Stokes? Westernsleep 2 201 09-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Coberson75 3 275 09-05-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Coberson75
  New to CPAP - have 3 instances of Cheyne-Stokes aussienana 62 2,451 08-23-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: aussienana
  Cheyne Stokes - Mask/Leak Related? mark.apnea 4 310 08-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Cheyne Stokes Respiration? pen123 27 4,223 08-01-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  Could this be Cheyne Stokes? jr991 3 272 07-29-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.