Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

help needed
help needed
            I've noticed large leaks lately with my sleep therapy. This has coincided with weight gain. My wife says my machine beeps with a leak alert, and once I move it stops. I've attached some recent oscar data. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help needed
You have high leaks most of the time. New or different size cushion, new headgear different mask. Lots of ways to do this. See the mask primer wiki.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The change in your weight may have changed the contours of your face, so it's time to redo some mask-fitting. Use an online video for your mask to optimize your strap adjustments, and then use the mask-fit setting on your machine to fine-tune. Do this lying down in your usual sleep positions, and check what happens when you move from one position to another. I hope this will help.

One other thought: is it time for a new mask?

I see you are still having clusters of events. Did you ever try a soft cervical collar?

I also see that you have multiple breaks in therapy each night. Are those bathroom breaks? Mask-adjustment breaks? Or ... ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a mouth breather so a cervical collar won't work. The breaks in therapy are me going to the bathroom.  While I'm awake, there is virtually no leakage, but when I go into deep sleep that's when the leaks start
Post Reply Post Reply
Your face may change shape a little when you're asleep. You can try relaxing your facial muscles when you do your mask fitting to mimic that change.

You should be able to use a cervical collar and still breathe through your mouth. It would be great if you could give it a try.

About the bathroom breaks: do you restrict liquids in the 3 to 4 hours before bedtime? And have you had your prostate checked? For what it's worth, my husband had excellent results using a medication his doctor prescribed to cut down on night-time bathroom breaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I drink liquids within 2 hours before going to bed, I can't help it, I work late and when I come home I eat
Post Reply Post Reply
There are always trade-offs, aren't there! Maybe you could drink your liquids earlier and then with dinner have less to drink, or even nothing. Not desirable, I know, but the possible pay-off would be more restful sleep. Worth pondering? Only you can weigh the potential benefits and deficits, of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate.. that is your first thing to fix and most other things will follow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New User! Help Needed! Horrible Sinus Headaches. avogel333 2 89 10 hours ago
Last Post: avogel333
  WISDOM NEEDED srlevine1 4 159 10-02-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [CPAP] 1 Week Usage - Help Needed GalaxyRoll 4 162 10-01-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help Needed: Friend Struggling with CPAP Compliance Due to Anxiety and Mask Removal Sarin 4 120 09-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help Needed to Understand Arousals ravman 3 314 09-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ravman
  New user, support needed please Katie.williams 8 388 09-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Help needed with OSCAR data and pressure SleepyCPAPa 2 213 09-01-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.