Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

trouble getting bipap machine to work
trouble getting bipap machine to work
Hello, I am trying to figure out my bipap. I have used it here and there, trying to get use to it. Sometimes my machine will push air into me without me actually breathing which makes me panic. I tried to set it down to a low pressure of 6 or so with a ramp time of 30 minutes. I started off with 25 pressure and a ramp time of 20 minutes. I am unsure what to do or how to get use to it. I am using a full face mask and sometimes I feel like the mask jumps on my face or pulses as I breathe out. I am mostly having trouble with the breathing part. If anyone has any advice, I could really use it please or even messages/ whispers. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: trouble getting bipap machine to work
We need to see the full settings: mode, EPAP min, Max pressure, PS and would prefer to see an OSCAR chart. Either way, there is probably a simple settings problem. When the mask jumps on your face, that is usually too much pressure support (PS), where the pressure during exhale is lower than during inhale. Try to find out what your settings are, and we can get it corrected.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like an awful experience. Yes, post Oscars! Follow exact protocol for posting charts in the Apneaboard menu.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, thank you for replying. These are the settings that I changed in order to try to figure out a good pace. 
Max IPap: 25
Min EPap:6
Ps: 2
Ramp time: 30 min
Start EPAP: 4

I dont have any OSCAR data I can share yet as I don't have an SD card reader, but I have one on the way. 
Here's my Watchpat results in case it helps.

Post Reply Post Reply
Please download and use OSCAR then post your daily details chart as shown in this tutorial. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization The charts you posted leave us with a guess. Lets try Vauto mode, EPAP min 7.0, PS 4.0 Max IPAP 15.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that you're somewhat susceptible to have Central Apnea, as there were 31 pAHIc 3%. This is below half the events, however it does signify a sensitivity to the CA.

6-25 pressure is a pretty wide range and as others mention, OSCAR charts will help us in helping you get it set better. Holding yourself at 4 cmH20 on a 30 minute Ramp likely isn't doing much good either.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried out your settings last night. I took it off after an hour because I was having trouble sleeping. This is the data that Oscar recorded last night. I hope it provides some insight. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope to hear soon.     
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll need to work on the mask seal. It's leaking at a pretty high rate, even when on Ramp. The ramp was quite long still and at low pressure.

I'm thinking this combo is hurting your success. Long Ramp at low pressure can cause air starving. Leaks diminish the therapy and adds disruption.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When your mask gets leaky like that, you can be prone to whipping it off. As can poor pressure settings, ‘cos you get starved for air.
And then….you end up with a bad habit.

I recommend you follow the settings advice, as you have done, and practice with the whole rig while you’re awake and watching tv or reading a book. Give your body a chance to get used to it all. Learn what it takes to manage a leak, so you aren’t fiddling around in the middle of the night.

Turn off ramp, at least until there’s settings clarity. At present, it just seems to add complication.

And, if you’re on insurance, you have a compliance obligation. Be sure you muscle yourself through at least 4 hours a day/night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 183 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 295 276,871 08-29-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kamryn
  [CPAP] Trouble with central apneas and weird symptoms Kevin Scholz 12 554 08-24-2024, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  BiPAP doesn't work anymore ohno 1 203 08-22-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Trouble with flow limits, doctor won't help ChickenTenders 7 442 08-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 9 1,128 08-17-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can use ASV machine as Bipap S/T machine? soyjer 17 584 08-07-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: soyjer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.