Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations
Adjusting for flow limitations
Hi! First time posting. Have already seen lots of great advice here so wanted to see if there were any suggestions for my settings (particularly flow limitations). I recently switched to "for her" mode and it has been extremely helpful. 

- 31 yo female

- 5'9, 160 lbs

- Home test through Lofta, so not super comprehensive. My AHI was 3.8 (normal) and my RDI was 21.1. O2 nadir 79%. 

I'm not sure if I have UARS or sleep apnea but I do know is that when my therapy stats are good, I feel like a new person. 

I breathe through my mouth, so its possible these are just the best my settings will get. 

I last night I switched my EPR from 3 back to 2 bc of the centrals from the night before (I think I read something about that here!)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adjusting for flow limitations
There are few knobs left to twist on the Autoset models. You already have “for her” mode turned on and are using the maximum pressure support. You have a good AHI and no real leaks. There is not much left to manage flow limitations from a machine perspective. You could play with pressure settings, higher or lower pressures may help some, but it may cause other issues.

With your AHI being in a good place, time to look at sleep hygiene. 
  • Are you using a flat or CPAP pillow? 
  • Are you chin-tucking?
  • Do you have a smart watch with sleep stage reporting?
There are things you can do like using a CPAP specific pillow or soft cervical collar. I do not think it will help much, but it may be worth a try. 

The main thing to consider is how you feel. It sounds like the therapy you are getting is working, but do you feel you could do better? If not, then you can continue as is and ignore the flow limitations until they impact sleep quality. If so, then you need to consider the options of trying to tweak what you have or move to a different machine like a bilevel.

In the end, you would likely need a bilevel e.g. ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto to manage the flow limitations. Being able to add more pressure support would make a big difference in sleep quality. You would also have options to manage the IPAP to EPAP and EPAP to IPAP sensitivities, which helps significantly with CA’s. Note that you are managing UARS, not curing it. It will still be present, but the machine will manage most of the effect.

It is something worth chatting with your sleep team about. Worst case you can possibly find a used Vauto at a fair price on Facebook Marketplace.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CAI was very low with EPR 3 and we would expect those to diminish in time. Clearly, therapy was much better with EPR 3, with fewer therapy stops, lower overall pressure lower flow low limitation (0.04 vs 0.10). My recommendation would be to return to EPR 3 and increase minimum pressure to 7.0 or 8.0. Your median pressure was 8.5.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for reviewing, I will do that tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2024, 10:38 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your CAI was very low with EPR 3 and we would expect those to diminish in time.  Clearly, therapy was much better with EPR 3, with fewer therapy stops, lower overall pressure lower flow low limitation (0.04 vs 0.10).  My recommendation would be to return to EPR 3 and increase minimum pressure to 7.0 or 8.0.  Your median pressure was 8.5.

sorry didn't know how to @ this post but I appreciate this advice and will plan to change it tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2024, 09:36 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: There are few knobs left to twist on the Autoset models. You already have “for her” mode turned on and are using the maximum pressure support. You have a good AHI and no real leaks. There is not much left to manage flow limitations from a machine perspective. You could play with pressure settings, higher or lower pressures may help some, but it may cause other issues.

With your AHI being in a good place, time to look at sleep hygiene. 
  • Are you using a flat or CPAP pillow? 
  • Are you chin-tucking?
  • Do you have a smart watch with sleep stage reporting?
There are things you can do like using a CPAP specific pillow or soft cervical collar. I do not think it will help much, but it may be worth a try. 

The main thing to consider is how you feel. It sounds like the therapy you are getting is working, but do you feel you could do better? If not, then you can continue as is and ignore the flow limitations until they impact sleep quality. If so, then you need to consider the options of trying to tweak what you have or move to a different machine like a bilevel.

In the end, you would likely need a bilevel e.g. ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto to manage the flow limitations. Being able to add more pressure support would make a big difference in sleep quality. You would also have options to manage the IPAP to EPAP and EPAP to IPAP sensitivities, which helps significantly with CA’s. Note that you are managing UARS, not curing it. It will still be present, but the machine will manage most of the effect.

It is something worth chatting with your sleep team about. Worst case you can possibly find a used Vauto at a fair price on Facebook Marketplace.

I really appreciate your advice!

-  I'm using a flat pillow that has a cut out so that my mask can fit when I lie on my side
- Had never heard of chin tucking. I wouldn't be surprised if I am. I'll look into the collar. 
- Good to know about the Vauto. My insurance is not great this year but perhaps another year/on marketplace.
- [edit] I have an apple watch that I've used inconsistently (not since december). It does not have 02, though. I'll try wearing it tonight and see what I find.

Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't worry about the @sleeprider. I don't get notices like that, but I do follow the threads that I participate in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2024, 08:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Don't worry about the @sleeprider. I don't get notices like that, but I do follow the threads that I participate in.

good to know. appreciate your support!
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow SleepRider’s recommendation for pressure changes. It likely will not reduce the flow limitations, but should help with sleep quality.

Flow limitations, as well as arousals and UARS, are interesting beasties to chase. There is a trade-off on managing them vs going after quality sleep. Just because you can reduce flow limitations does not mean you will sleep better, it just means you have managed flow limitations. Same for arousals. 

Feeling rested, regardless what your machine or OSCAR reports, is our goal. We all get caught up chasing numbers, but it does not mean we had quality sleep. Quite a conundrum at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Apple Watch really has been useless for helping with breathing issues at night. You really need a device that measures oxygen and heart rate continuously.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR 1, hight flow limit, but lots of CA throwaway1242 5 110 7 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 9 138 8 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Symptoms] More Tired With Less Flow Limitations sowo123 3 226 10-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] OSCAR help adjusting pressure - Prisma smart georgesadam 11 628 10-04-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Zombie on my Lawn
  Leaks and Flow Rates cyberfiche 4 313 10-02-2024, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 154 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  is this flow limitation? shyguy 2 292 09-30-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: shyguy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.