Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask issues that aren't covered in the standard Q&A
Mask issues that aren't covered in the standard Q&A
Hello!
I recently got a new CPAP and mask and am trying to make a fresh start of CPAP therapy.  I tried to start a good 7-8 years ago, but had to make do with a donated, non-humidified machine and increasingly brittle silicone around the edges of the mask because I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford replacements.  So new machine = much easier to tolerate, plus I've had EMDR psych therapy for my medical PTSD from having a pulmonary embolism and have stopped having such bad claustrophobia.   Confused
Buuuut in the the years since, my OTHER health issues have been growing and multiplying like weeds.  I can't just blame it on sleep apnea, either.  Since 2020, I have had cervical spinal surgery (ACDF c6-c7) and been diagnosed with a slew of chronic illnesses.  

The relevant ones for this forum: 
hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome 
fibromyalgia
orofacial dystonia causing TMJD-esque pain--later incorporated into the diagnosis of generalized dopa-responsive dystonia 
non-length dependent small fiber neuropathy 
cervicogenic and often atypical migraine 
postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome 
mast cell activation syndrome
psoriatic arthritis.  

With their powers combined, I have multiple points on my scalp and face that are extremely tender to touch and pressure.  Some are around sinuses, others where lymph nodes might fall, and then there are the ones where muscle/tendon/fascia meet.   As you might imagine, I have a hard time with the headgear and mask for my CPAP.  I have asked for a new mask, and in theory they are sending me one, the Liberty Mirage. I am hoping this will help as it is the least reliant on pressure that I have been able to find.  

I can obtain temporary relief from these sore points with manual release and/or dry needling at my physical therapist, but it doesn't last for long.  They also influence how I am able to sleep, and I generally do best on my side, but masks that will allow my face to be supported by a pillow and still seal are rare.  I have looked at the oral-only, but suspect that the angle it holds your mouth at will also end up with morning pain.  I'm hoping that my skin will be ok with the material on the Mirage, because I can tell it is annoyed by the f20.  It's spring here and my mast cells are super angry about it; I'm constantly vaguely itchy and often end up with hives. If the skin irritation was my only problem, I'd be trying the memory foam or gel type cushions.  I don't see memory foam or gel cushions available for minimal-touching masks though.  
Does anyone else have these issues?  What has helped?  Even if you haven't, I'm open to brainstorming.  

Mull
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask issues that aren't covered in the standard Q&A
Welcome

I am sorry that you are having all these issues.  You haven't mentioned if you have tried the nasal only type masks.  When I was doing titration the tech wanted me to try a nasal pillow mask.  Have you already tried one of those?  I couldn't use it myself because I breathe through my mouth and refuse to do the taping of the mouth method. But others on this board love them, some do tape their mouths.  My guess though is with some of your medical conditions taping would not be an option.

I will say the headgear portion is much more comfortable.

I'm pretty sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to assist you!
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] New issues after 4 years of treatment Compton2233 4 214 10-17-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Compton2233
  First night - aerophagia issues kanikami 8 370 10-13-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Issues with auto bipap and aero haha Xboxrrod 22 984 10-12-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Unknown sleep issues/responding poorly to cpap Apnea4862 4 353 10-11-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Lowenstein issues m162 7 513 10-02-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Zombie on my Lawn
  Ear issues chzuck 0 149 09-27-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  [Equipment] Battery covered by insurance? Zombie on my Lawn 1 170 09-26-2024, 06:14 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.