Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need help analyzing OSCAR data for low AHI vs high AHI days
Question 
Need help analyzing OSCAR data for low AHI vs high AHI days
I use a Resmed Airsense 10 with an AirFit F20 mask, and I've been having a consistently good AHI normally under five. Recently however random days Ill have an AHI upwards of 6-10, sometimes even higher. The next day things will return back to normal and AHI goes back to under 5 without me doing anything differently. I am kind of confused with the OSCAR data as I was expecting to see leaks being the culprit but it doesnt seem to be due to leaks. 

I will attach a screenshot from a day where my AHI is under 5 and another where my AHI is almost 10. If someone could help me interpret what may be causing the problem that would be super appreciated. Thanks!

AHI under 5:

AHI above 5: (The last row in the event flags sections blocked by the random popup are RERA (RE) and correspond to the yellow lines on the graph)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help analyzing OSCAR data for low AHI vs high AHI days
I see a couple of problems.  
1.  Very high flow limitations. 
2.  You are bumping up against your maximum pressure (it could probably be raised higher to help). 
3.  Some of your events cluster (positional apnea).  Using a flatter pillow, possibly changing postion from back to side sleeping, or last resort getting a soft cervical collar.  Just measure the distance from your chin to your chest in inches and fractions of an inch to get the correct size.  
4.  You have too many leaks at times (not too terribly bad though). 
5.  You have EPR set at 2 full time.  

So where to start?  You can try the 3 things on positional apnea 1st - pillow, sleeping position, and/or soft cervical collar.  When your chin tucks to your chest, it can partially obstruct, or even totally obstruct your airway.  Not good.  

You can increase your max pressure from 14 to 15 or more if the above things don't immediately help.  You can go slow by 0.2 increases if you want to also.  

You can try increasing EPR to 3 full time to see if that lowers your flow limitations also. 

Here are a few tips also to help combat mask leaks.   Mask Primer
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits cause increases in pressure. I suggest

EPR 3 FULL TIME
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice! I'll apply these changes and see if there is improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New member looking for Oscar data help mttm 14 425 1 minute ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help analyzing OSCAR data - CA's? alemon 45 2,192 10 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Surprised Help Interpreting Oscar data HN2207 12 278 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: HN2207
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 27 699 10-01-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  Just started 6 days ago! benjaminjaquith 17 556 10-01-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: benjaminjaquith
  [Treatment] Advice with OSCAR Data sploomb 1 117 10-01-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data richardb123 7 414 10-01-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: richardb123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.