Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep
Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep
I am two weeks into CPAP. I am 30, 210 lb, and live in NC USA. I also have two little girls who don't always help me get good sleep Smile

I have been having trouble keeping the mask on throughout the night and feel like I wake up frequently.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep
Adding sleep study results

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping a mask on all night can sometimes be a challenge, and can happen for a variety of reasons. In your case, I have a sense that an expert poster will come along and adjust your settings so you’re not having to hit EJECT (the mask) when the settings make you uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

I think you would be more comfortable and have better therapy if you changed two settings.

1.  Raise your beginning pressure to 7.
2.  Raise your EPR setting to 3.

Since you are only two weeks into your therapy, it's not unusual for you to not be comfortable with your therapy yet.  It's a pretty big change to suddenly have something strapped to your face and air blown up your nose.  Lots of people have problems getting used to wearing a mask, and some have uncomfortable masks.  If the mask is not too uncomfortable, you simply need to remind yourself that you cannot have good therapy if you remove it.  If the discomfort factor is high, you need to try a different mask.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the previous post, the pressure and EPR adjustments should help with some of the flow limits that were driving your pressure high. In addition to those changes, you would benefit from wearing the mask under pressure while engaged in some distracting activities such as watching TV, reading, gaming, going on the computer to search information on OSCAR Help or the ApneaBoard Wiki or forum.  It will take several weeks to a couple of months for your body to truly acclimate to the fit and feel of the mask under pressure. The hours you spend with the mask on, outside of sleep will cut down on the time needed to become acclimated with only use during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
UnicornRider's tip is a good one.  Try it. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate all of your suggestions. It is very frustrating to wake up in the morning to find I took the mask off when I was half-asleep during the night. 

I will implement the changes to the settings and try to keep the make on during other activities. I am very motivated to have more energy during the day!
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to do that a lot, @jblack33: remove the mask in my sleep. I see now there's an option on the unit to set an alarm if there's a high mask leak. This would let you know if you took the mask off. IMO a coupla nights of that alarm and you'll never do it again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the leak alarm, and I didn’t hear it, but OSCAR indicated large leaks in the middle of the session.

Onward with your problem...

Adding in something to keep an eye on, there were several Central/Mixed Apnea within your sleep study, keep tabs on those in OSCAR. These CA may not be a big issue, just noting it for you.

On the mask removal issue itself, if you are aware you're removing it, do your best to put it back on. Otherwise you'll be dealing with the bad habit I had of not doing so, and setting self up to not gain the therapy time needed to get better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing Mask In Sleep Unmasked101 6 215 09-05-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Difference between nasal mask, and full face mask setting Ynot 6 308 09-04-2024, 05:38 PM
  [CPAP] Taking mask off in sleep nevian 12 416 09-03-2024, 04:03 PM
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 207 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Fragmented Sleep on BiPAP TheFuzziestPickles 12 464 07-30-2024, 11:04 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Treatment] Fragmented sleep on cpap do you think this is uars? Fares otb 5 312 07-13-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: ZacharySimon
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 361 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.