Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Sleepy, too many arousals?
Sleepy, too many arousals?
Looking for some insight and advice, thanks in advance. I have been on a cpap machine since fall of 2018. I was using the Phillips dreamstation and I replaced the air chamber with one without foam after the recall notice. I got a ResMed AirSense 11 this past July 2024. Previously the dreamstation would not give me data on the sd card, but I have data now for Oscar and SleepHQ. 
I switched from an Amara view to the very soft Resmed AirFit F40. Sadly I had to replace that with a N30 nasal cradle mask. I am having neck surgery in Jan 2025 and the neck straps seemed to aggravate my neck issues. I am a side sleeper and have experienced the leak battle, possible when I am aroused and switch to the other side. I presently use mouth tape and a chin strap and have tried the soft cervical collar, I am awaiting deliver of a new collar today. 
My numbers appear ok, but the ResMed machine seems to “miss” events that may be causing arousals. I am on opioids for my pain, which doesn’t help my breathing issues. I am prediabetic and battle high blood pressure. I have to fight the urge to chase numbers, I need a better rest night, period. I have attached some Oscar screen shots with my fitness tracker sleep data. Not sure how accurate, but it seems consistent.
I use the CPAP mode and use the ramp feature only to emphasize my awakenings with the mask off. I have experimented with turning on EPR, but have increased the pressure to compensate, sorry for the long post.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepy, too many arousals?
Check out this video on leak rates. It might help you out:
https://youtu.be/FtRWhOgfY2A?si=sYXyneF38VSXYdwz
There are lots of other videos on youtube that address leak rates/mask leaks/mouth leaks that are helpful.
Also a look at some individual breaths:
https://youtu.be/XVscmoOW29U?si=EUqikYBXZSb4NTeQ
Post Reply Post Reply
katbrat, thanks for the video links, my wife hates when I watch these as I replay parts and that disturbs her reading, haha.
My soft cervical collar shipment is delayed, ugh... I have one I was going to return as the velcro barely catches, it was mislabeled as a large. I may give it a shot again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Haha! Yes, I get that! Get some ear buds, man! It's worth learning as much as you possibly can! And the cervical collar REALLY helps me. But make sure it's not too tight. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
My new cervical collar should arrive today, tried the old collar that I am returning, as it is too small, supposed to be a large. The night got better once I fell asleep, but after waking up the 2nd time, could not get the cervical collar to fit comfortably, so that part of the night went not so well.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, this topic has been opened many times. Everyone experiences fatigue and sleepiness during the day. But for some reason there is no definite reason. The values ​​in the graphs are great but the feelings are very bad. Even if you use the best devices and equipment, for some reason it does not change. It is very interesting why this situation is not examined by the manufacturers. I have the same problem, I tried everything but in vain, the situation does not change. AHI values ​​are lower than 5 but the result is terrible.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Is this any good? I'm still so sleepy heiler 5 212 Yesterday, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Arrow AHI < 1.0 now, but still tired? Is it UARS, RERA, arousals or FL in your FR peaks? 2SleepBetta 58 14,905 10-20-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 21 1,419 10-05-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Need help analyzing results. Low AHI but still sleepy boromt 14 719 09-28-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] Low AHI but many arousals, crappy sleep. snewmy 3 368 09-17-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Scored well but still Sleepy Zip Van Winkle 16 981 09-16-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Zip Van Winkle
  Help Needed to Understand Arousals ravman 3 372 09-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: ravman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.