Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone help me to see if I need to adjust my pressure settings
Can someone help me to see if I need to adjust my pressure settings
I have been seeing huge ramp ups in pressure on my machine.  Want to make sure everything is ok, and if there are any adjustments I should make to the settings.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone help me to see if I need to adjust my pressure settings
Welcome to the board.  

You have pressure increases because of the flow limits, Resmed raises pressure when it finds flow limits to stop them from becoming larger O or H events.  Flow Limits are apnea just like O or H events but they are smaller and not as long (an O or H has to be 10 seconds or longer to be classified as O or H).  I have how they are classified in the signature at the bottom of this post.

You can stop most flow limits by using EPR (exhale pressure Relief).  Your setting are not using EPR at all.  I would suggest making these changes.

Change EPR to FULL TIME
EPR 3

That will help with the pressure swings.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I set the settings you suggested. So I set my pressure to 7-20, saw my MED was 9.98 and upped my min pressure to 8 using the article that said to set your min pressure to -2 of Med.  I have attached the two nights, should I up the pressure some more?  Or do my numbers look good?  Thanks for the help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's getting better with this latest setting. I think I'm seeing a small amount of Positional Apnea clusters. Check your pillow and see if it's thin or too thick. Thick or several pillows may cause your chin to tuck towards your chest, causing external force to restrict the airway. If this applies, you'll either need that thinner pillow or maybe a soft cervical collar to block the chin tuck.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a hiatal hernia, and my doctor suggested I try sleeping on a wedge pillow, which I have, to keep the acid from going to my throat and lungs.  So I use the following https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHKD7CN?psc=1 pillow with another soft pillow on top.  Should I try removing the pillow and seeing if that helps?
Post Reply Post Reply
That might help. You'll possibly need to adjust things with various wedge sizes, configurations to get the balance between acid reflux and Apnea events control.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please read the Positional Apnea article here https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea Wedge pillows or sleeping on an incline are common reasons we see clusters of obstructive apnea. It is the physical blocking of your airway caused by your chin dropping toward your chest that causes the obstruction that cannot be opened by normal CPAP pressure. We can show you the source of the problem, but you're going to have to consider the best way to deal with the positional apnea caused by inclined sleeping, while not making your hernia worse. Are you also on antacid therapy?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was taking Nexium but my lung doctor suggested I try sleeping with two pillows or wedge pillow with Tums if needed, so I didn't have to use Nexium everyday.  Would the collar with the wedge work?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can try that combo. I myself have a hiatal hernia with bad acid reflux. I'm taking Rabeprazole, a PPI, and have an electric tilt home hospital bed to facilitate my tilt needs.

My hernia won't be surgical repaired as it was once already during bariatric sleeve surgery. Surgeon said to repair the hernia now will require bariatric revision to the old bypass style, Dave says no-go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok will try. Are my min-max pressure find then?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] New to ASV and Wanting to Understand Pressure Settings Better kbeards 6 330 7 hours ago
Last Post: Macka
  Pressure settings on APAP - Morning Headaches Jhlopez 0 115 09-24-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Jhlopez
  Can't fall asleep, should I adjust pressures, etc.? PJP71 10 439 09-08-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: PlayerTwo
  What generally are the first pressure settings for a new CPAP user ? Tenley 5 464 09-07-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Finding PAST pressure settings damondamondamon 2 206 08-22-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Z2 pressure vs Airsense11 pressure jwalker5 2 209 08-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jwalker5
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 70 11,305 08-14-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: NoCaffAfter4

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.