Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing
RE: Considering turbinate reduction for better nasal breathing
Thank you for the kindness in responding. I think it would be a lot easier of a solution for my nasal breathing than the deviated septum operation which is quite difficult, from I have been told.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are so welcome.

I have a deviated septum and collapsing nasal valves. too. believe it or not, I wanted all of these fixed but my ENT wanted to proceed conservatively.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was a year into PAP therapy before I had turbinate reduction as described by @LuminousOne.  I had chronically swollen turbinates that required an F20.  Nasty bruises on my face every morning but nothing else worked. Trials with hybrid masks interfered with my nostrils.  Pillows masks worked somewhat but required mouth tape.

I had turbinate reduction about six months ago.  I skipped pap therapy the night of the procedure.  Despite my nose being packed, I was still able to breathe mostly through my nose that night.

I removed the packing that morning and resumed pap therapy that night.  No problems, whatsoever.  There didn’t seem to be much helpful information available so I just started.  Per ENT instructions I do two shots of generic Flonase in each nostril in the evening.  I’ve had no nasal congestion, ever, and I live next to a hardwood forest.

About the time I had the procedure, ResMed released the F40 full face hybrid.  It’s now my main mask.  It works great with my now-open nasal passages and it’s easily adjusted to accommodate my slightly deviated septum.

I am extremely satisfied with my results.  The worst part of the whole procedure was removing the packing from each nostril the following morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a good youtube video that explains more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0TPEHmS7s

I'm so glad it worked for you, BuzzaJim
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your kindness in replying . I has a couple follow up
Questions 

1- did you have the reduction procedure with General anesthesia or just local ?
2-do you get mask leaks with the F40? I had switched from F20 ( I used it for 15 months ) and pressed so hard on my forehead and nose that I awakened in middle of night stuffy every night for over a year - I love the comfort of the F40.
3- was there much pain after the procedure ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw that video. Thanks Buzza Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you were asking me or BuzzaJim, but I'll add my two cents worth:

My MD topically numbed my inner nose, waited, and then injected local numbing. Seriously, I felt nothing. I was awake throughout, semi-sitting position and was comfortable. Some people even go to work afterwards. I worked from home due to the red tinged runny nose. 

It may be possible to use cpap that night, but I wouldn't consider using a nasal pillows mask. An F40 would probably be a good option. I was using that when I got the machine 6 days after the procedure without problem.

Wishing you good results with your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like LuminousOne and I used the same ENT.  Just a local and I drove myself home.  There was no pain, just a little discomfort.

Seems we’ve all transitioned from the F20 to F40.  The F20 had the lowest leakage for me but the discomfort and mask marks kept me looking for something else.  

This morning, the leak rate with the F40 averaged 0.2 ml/min.  I’ve seen lower but have relaxed my headgear lately,for more comfort. 

Good luck on your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Luminous 1 , thanks for your encouraging reply. Sounds like not a big deal and recovery is minimal. If it relieves the stuffiness, then it’s worth going through with  it.  Did they have to pack your nose after the procedure ? 

Thanks again for your help .
Post Reply Post Reply
No packing! Just had a drippy nose the day of the procedure, but this was no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breathing noise carmdf 1 59 Yesterday, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nasal pillows v nasal mask FLcracker 11 496 Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Last Post: mogulman
  Bad at Breathing Haldir 37 1,567 10-05-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Haldir
  [Diagnosis] Very high amounts of periodic breathing / CSR ? gregbe2000 36 1,047 10-04-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: gregbe2000
  [CPAP] AHI suddenly high as well as PB and variable breathing tresero 5 263 09-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: tresero
  [Health] Breathing Exercises Better Sleep or not? seepapnyc 0 163 09-11-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: seepapnyc
  Periodic Breathing Strategies? mark.apnea 2 279 09-11-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.