Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] On CPAP for 3 months and still exhausted please HELP!!
On CPAP for 3 months and still exhausted please HELP!!
Hi, my name is Will

I have been diagnosed with Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS) with an RDI of 33.3 events per hour.

I have been using the ResMed AirSense 11 with the N20i nasal mask and taping my mouth to ensure it stays closed sense I am a mouth breather when I sleep. Occasionally, I also use the F30i, which is a hybrid full-face mask(I don't tape my mouth while using this mask).

For the past three months, the MyAir app has consistently shown scores between 90 and 100 each night, with events never exceeding 4 per hour.

Nevertheless, I am still exhausted and feel no improvement in my wakefulness. Please help me.

Attached some photos of my OSCAR sleep data.

Summary:
  • Diagnosed with UARS, RDI of 33.3 events per hour
  • Using ResMed AirSense 11 with N20i nasal mask
  • Current pressure settings: 7-14
  • No EPR
  • Consistently using therapy every night for 3 months
  • MyAir score consistently 90-100
  • Still feeling exhausted
  • Following a healthy sleep schedule
  • I am a healthy 18-year-old, 5'10", 175 lbs, exercising daily.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: On CPAP for 3 months and still exhausted please HELP!!
Hi Willrule88! - Welcome
I would recommend you set the EPR to 3 - Full-Time, and either switch to CPAP mode, setting your pressure to 12 cm or leave it in Auto mode and set both the minimum and maximum pressure to 12cm. Try this to see is you feel better rested. The pressure settings will probably need to be adjusted further, but this is a starting point to see if we are going in the right direction.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you I will try that,

Why do you recommend EPR, I heard that can cause more central apneas.

Does it help?
Post Reply Post Reply
It can, but we will worry about that if and when it occurs. Two reasons for an EPR of 3. You said you were diagnosed with UARS and you have some elevated flow limits. The flow limits go with the UARS. Setting a bi-level pressure should help reduce the flow limits and decrease the possible flt tops of your flow rate.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend going to a fixed pressure of 12cm in either CPAP mode or APAP mode (min=max=12).

I would keep EPR to 0.

If falling asleep is uncomfortable due to too much pressure on the onset, I would recommend you use a ramp to get to 12.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
AshSF, why do you recommend an EPR of 0? As Crimson Nape notes, EPR is an excellent tool for reducing flow limitations (provided that they don't originate in the nose). I agree that it's well worth-while to try EPR of 3. If "treatment-emergent" CAs are your concern, they may or may not crop up, and if they do, they will often resolve on their own.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m attaching data from two nights: one from two nights ago and one from last night.

On the first night, I adjusted the pressure to 8-11 (previously it was 7-14), with no EPR. My flow limitation was high at 0.42. I lowered the maximum pressure because I was having more central apneas (CA) than regular apneas. However, lowering it to 11 didn’t help much since my 95% pressure that night was 11 cm. Previously, when I was on 7-14, my 95% pressure was 11.4 cm, so I decided to lower the maximum even more for the next night.

Last night, I changed the pressure range to 7-9, hoping to reduce CAs, which helped—my CA events decreased from 2.37 to 1.54. I also turned EPR on to 3 full time. This reduced my flow limitation from an average of 0.3-0.4 to 0.11, so EPR definitely helped.

The problem is, I’m still having a fair amount of central apneas and still feel tired. I think 7-8 cm might be a good minimum pressure since I’m not having many regular apneas at that level.

I’m not sure what to do next and feel a bit lost. Do you think I should try using a BiPAP? Someone actually gave me one for free, so I have it if needed. I know EPR helped, as my flow limitation is now at 0.11.

Let me know where to go from where and what to try tonight, let me know if you need extra data as well thank you~

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea if this is relevant to your situation. but my apnea was hiding a co-morbid problem with hypersomnia. My CPAP/ASV is doing its job reducing apnea events, but I still suffer from episodes of daytime sleepiness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Will - one thing that helped me immensely was setting a straight-pressure with EPR-3 rather than APAP. What happens is all the pressure changes were subtly waking me up, and when I did straight-pressure, it cut my AHI in half. I see a few points on your graphs where a CA seems to follow a pressure spike, you could give this a try.

Additionally, slightly elevating the head of my bed cut my CA's down as well. I'm not at 0, but straight pressure lowered my average from ~5 AHI to ~3.5, and the slight slope to the mattress cut it down again by 1, with a night or two even below 1. This hasn't fully fixed my tiredness, don't get me wrong, but we attack what we can Smile

Could be you need bi-level, but I might give a few nights at the settings with your higher EPR, let your body get used to them - easier said than done, I know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Months of CPAP use and feeling more fatigued senseisaitama 4 177 09-15-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] 8 months in and could still use help papjourney 1 140 09-08-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] AHI low but still exhausted, help with OSCAR data kgrimm1 1 139 09-03-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using CPAP for 5 months, still struggling abzcpap24 4 316 08-23-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: abzcpap24
  9 months in with no meaningful change johnald 7 351 08-17-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: johnald
Video Please verify: DEFINED: "13 months of CONTINUOUS USE" soyjer 3 263 08-09-2024, 06:30 AM
Last Post: soyjer
  Finally giving OSCAR a shot after 4 months of CPAP with no results SleeepyPuck 17 620 07-30-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.