Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopnea - Resmed scoring
RE: Hypopnea - Resmed scoring
So your point:
That the pair of breaths that preceded the hypopnea period may have been influenced by a leak (because the leak distorts the sensed air flow).

I will try to find the leak record for that specific event that was illustrated in my original post.

Would that satisfy the mask leak question?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, definitely check for leaks there, because you have what looks like the zero point crossing of your breaths misaligned with the machine's zero point estimate, and area above and below not matching well.

I suspect it's going to look like a large leak getting less leaky over the duration of the event.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I found it:
[img][Image: wpw4KM6.jpg][/img]

Leak levels are below the 24 l/min threshold (Resmed's "acceptable" leak level)

Based on your hypothesis, I was anticipating that the big breath would have been coincident with a momentary increase in leak, then a restoration back to a leak level level of leak level that is more representative of the period prior to large inhalation at 04:15:39.

But it looks like the reverse is true.

Any thoughts on the idea that the leak increase could desensitize the flow rate measurements such that the reduced peaks (causing the Hypopnea score) are inaccurate, that perhaps this hypopnea event had nothing to do with the (alleged) deep inhalation, but is reflective of the change in leak from  7 to 20. 

I sincerely hope that is NOT the case, as that really throws a monkey wrench into the validity of any hypopnea scoring that might be done while there are minor (supposedly "acceptable" ) changes in leak.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do these spikes represent hypopnea the machine didn't catch? lolo23 2 253 06-11-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Hypopnea response Made 33 1,326 06-10-2024, 09:18 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,708 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 2,082 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 523 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 554 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 706 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.