Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling
RE: Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling
Called DME again. Each new customer service person does not believe me that Philips stopped selling all CPAP machines. They say they would know about something so serious. This burns me up. I tell them I don't believe management didn't know either, which makes this fraud. At best, if they did not know it is negligence. I asked when I would get a call back and they said 24 to 48 hours because they have to follow procedure. I asked what exactly the procedure was for a manufacturer stopping sales. He did not know, but said management had to review something so serious. I said they need to act quickly for something so serious. I said I wanted this fire hazard out of my house and if I did not get a call by noon I would be bringing it back to them in person. This got him agitated because he said this was a rental and needed to be picked up because of their contract. I asked if he would keep a fire hazard in his house? I said I don't care about your business contracts, I care about my house not burning down. He then said he could schedule a pick up for tomorrow. So he transferred me and the good news is this thing will be gone tomorrow afternoon. They really like to make it difficult but I don't like to give up. Next I fight for the Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling
Wow, that letter should get someone's attention. I'm glad you didn't take no for an answer. Way to go!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They don't know anything about the Philips Respironics recall or the end of sale in the US? They're liars.

Box it up, take it back, and make the DME sign and date a return receipt. They might attempt insurance payment fraud.

Like others say, get insurance info on other DMEs. Run from this one, after the machine is returned. Good luck.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2024, 04:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Wow, that letter should get someone's attention.  I'm glad you didn't take no for an answer. Way to go!

Thanks Sleeprider!  I sure hope so.  I really don't want them to offload these Philips machines on anyone else.  It is so not right.  They would potentially be giving people cancer!  That's evil.  I also told them they can't claim anymore that they did not know anything about the stoppage in sales because I informed them about it.  (Still think management had to know--it's their business)
Post Reply Post Reply
All these machines not being sold in the U.S. are probably on an express truck to Canada. BTW, it would be interesting to go through the clinical menu of your Philips and see how many run hours are on it. Many DMEs will dispense used machines. Like they said, "it's a rental". When they get a rental back due to someone failing compliance, or not tolerating the therapy, it's unfortunately common to send it back out to the next patient. If you're curious, here is how to access the clinical settings https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will have look Sleeprider and let you know.  I am surprised it is a rental!  Thought it was mine now.

SarcasticDave, I think they are liars too.  OK, maybe the low level customer service agents I have been talking to don't know, but management??  I don't think so.  The CSAs were obviously trained to tell me at first my unit was not one that was recalled.  So they knew about the safety issues.  Good thinking to get a receipt--I will get one from the pickup driver.  I just called insurance and they told me I am stuck with the DME--it's the only one they use.  But they are calling DME to see what is going on in getting me a new one.  4th call to them about my case today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last insurance update for today: CSA from Avmed, my insurance company called DME. You are not going to believe this, but she told me they had planned to give me ANOTHER PHILIPS machine!!!!!! I am flabbergasted. The rep said no, she does not want anything to do with Philips. Then they offered a "ResMed S 11" I am thinking she misheard the model there. What do you think they meant? To get the Resmed, they said my doctor has to refax in another prescription for the exact machine! A pain, but at least a good ultimate result. I need to make sure I am getting the machine right.
Sleeprider I know you mentioned the Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset--maybe I should just have my dr. write the prescription that way?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed S11 refers to the Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset or CPAP. You want to specify Autoset with your doctor. Also, let your doctor's office know that Philips has discontinued sales of all CPAPs in the U.S. just to cover the bases. The Resmed S10 would be the Airsense 10 Autoset. Resmed's older generations were the S9, S8 and S7 which are fully out of production. I mentioned earlier that you should specify a Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset.

My approach in getting a machine is to request the doctor fill a prescription for a specific model that I want. So my prescriptions specify Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, with setting instructions, and the instruction to "dispense as written" (DAW). My wife also uses CPAP and the DME was scheduled to send a Philips System One, a discontinued predecessor to the Dreamstation 1. I had to warn them that the Philips machine would be declined and let them know only the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset would be acceptable. You should retain physical copies of your prescriptions and sleep studies for your own records. Lots of important reasons for this. For one thing, I doubt your doctor specified a Philips auto CPAP, and your DME is probably just poking you again. Assuming he did not specify a Philips Auto CPAP, they don't need a new prescription for the Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset. With a copy of that Rx, you could verify the need for the revision or call their bluff. You could also use that Rx at any DME or online supplier of your choice. Get and keep your records.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider.  I was a little confused on just the S.  I figured I do not have to get a whole new prescription, but will do it because it is likely the fastest way to get my CPAP.  I have copies of everything you said--I have an apnea folder.  The dr's prescription does not specify a brand name at all.  It just talks about needing a CPAP and supplies.  I have already written to my dr. in my medical portal and explained the situation, with links to the Philips mess.   I want to do what I can to help other people avoid this.  Clearly the DME still wants to send these out to people.  I am just so lucky I stumbled on this info.  I cannot believe all I have learned in a day.

I have been researching tonight about insurance giving you a rental and what this means long term for payments and potential ownership.  I will have to call again.  They did not even bother to tell me I was getting a rental!  Oh, and I checked my machine and it says for the past 30 days, last night was the only use.  I think that is how I would check if someone else had it.
Post Reply Post Reply
S is probably short for series, like ResMed AirSense S10 or S11. Either is OK, but I like the 10 series better. Regardless both are Cadillac machines compared to discontinued PR.

Best wishes you'll win quick. The DME is your service provider where you're boss, not the other way around. If they don't serve well, they absolutely can be fired.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  11 days in and on my fifth day of non-stop headaches callisto9 10 642 08-27-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: callisto9
  Options to stop sleep apnea Timothy918 7 411 08-15-2024, 11:47 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Stop mouth leaks with a boil and bite mouthguard? ttrani01 5 444 08-10-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Stop me if you've heard this before. Looking for help updating BiPAP settings Cape67 0 225 07-29-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Cape67
  Selling Price of Resmed Airsense 10 ivan007 17 1,212 04-30-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 949 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 627 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.