Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leakage /events
Leakage /events
I am fairly new to Cpap therapy, about 6 weeks now.  I use a ResMed airsense 10 machine.  I started using a nasal mask but I have a tendency to breathe through my mouth so my leakage rate was high but I was averaging 2 to 3 events per hour.  To control the leakage I switched to a full face mask.  That switch controlled the leakage but the number of events rose to around 15 per hour.  

Was the leakage with the nasal mask causing a false reading on the number of sleep events?

The nasal mask is much more comfortable I am hoping the leakage can be ignored.

Also, I tried using a chin strap didn't help much with the leakage but I only tried it once.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leakage /events
Hi PMD1953,
Excessive leaks should not be ignored, as your machine may not be able to accurately "catch" events.

If you are able, download the #SleepyHead software, then follow the tutorials in my signature line to post a screenshot here.

If you are able, post data while using the two masks.

Also, as a newbie, you are limited to posting links, so just leave a space in the link when posting from Imgur.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change the machine setting to full face mask?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I did.  I also run a fit test before going to sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PMD1953,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2017, 07:01 AM)OpalRose Wrote: ...
If you are able, post data while using the two masks.

does wearing masks while posting help?  I have never tried that.  Do you don both masks?  I tried with mine and suspect I would have had a lot of leakage if I had turned the machine on.  Luckily, I just wore the masks, and left the machine off and hose disconnected.
Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing Laugh-a-lot Dielaughing Laugh-a-lot

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2017, 07:01 AM)OpalRose Wrote: If you are able, post data while using the two masks.

Hey QAL, Is this better?

Please post data from a night that you wore the nasal mask and a night that you wore the full face mask.  Big Grin
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, but it was fun to give you a ribbing!
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's gotta be one in every crowd, doesn't there? Having said that, I had the mental picture of wearing a mask in front and another in back of my head. Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have installed the Sleepyhead program.  Major data overload.  Is there specific data need?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Clear Airway, CSR events frolic 23 1,039 9 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Are these snoring and reras events noteworthy? Phaleronic 0 51 Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  OSCAR Data - Low AHI but still not feeling great, and are these real OA events? Santino 38 1,478 10-16-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Nasal Pillows - Momentary Mouth Leakage Strategies? mark.apnea 2 227 10-11-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Apnea Events less then 10 Seconds r4robin 5 287 10-10-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need help with increased Clear Airway events zood 7 495 09-30-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: zood
  CA events - Advice lukewpc 5 312 09-30-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lukewpc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.