Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: I now have the following replacement xPAP for my recalled Philips Respironics xPAP.
This poll is closed.
DS2 - Direct from Philips. (free to me)
41.67%
120 41.67%
DS2 - From My DME, etc. (insurance covered and/or copay by me)
4.51%
13 4.51%
DS1 - New (upgraded foam) or Refurbished from Philips.
19.44%
56 19.44%
DS1 - New (upgraded foam) or Refurbished through my DME, etc.
4.17%
12 4.17%
ResMed - From my DME. (insurance covered and/or copay by me)
7.99%
23 7.99%
ResMed - I paid for it 100%. (by choice and/or no help offered by DME)
16.67%
48 16.67%
Other Brand - From my DME, etc.
0.35%
1 0.35%
Other Brand - I paid for it 100%.
5.21%
15 5.21%
Total 288 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally
RE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally
Progress Report through June 2023
[Image: attachment.php?aid=51963]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress Report through July 2023
[Image: attachment.php?aid=52760]

RayBee

~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to the recall, I had a System One for upwards of 6 years. It seemed to work great, but then the damn recall. Shortly after the recall I was able to get a Resmed Airsense 10 from my DME via insurance. For some reason (and I went through two machines), I simply couldn't adjust to the way Resmed measured OSA vs CSA. The machine would send a pulse of pressure multiple times very quickly, and it would always wake me up. I worked with my DME and sleep doctor to adjust various settings (from different pressure ranges, to fixed pressure, increased/decreasing the EPR settings), all to no avail. Luckily, however, my DME got in a Dreamstation 2 that had not yet been claimed by any patients, so we swapped out my Resmed for the DS2! And thank g0d, the DS2 has been fantastic.

This is all a very long story to say that after over 2 years, I finally received a new device from Philips - a refurbished Dreamstation 1!

So now I have two devices, a new DS2 from my DME, and a refurbished DS1 from Philips. I'm planning on holding onto the DS1 as a backup just in case something happens to my DS2. But man, if I hadn't been super pushy with my DME to get a new device (and to make a long story short - I switched DME's, because my original provider for the System One basically said tough luck, not their problem), I'd have been stuck with my potentially dangerous System One for 2+ years, or spent ~$1000 out of pocket for a new device.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress Report through August 2023

[Image: attachment.php?aid=53880]

RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I just found this thread for the first time today.
What I find interesting is that only 259 machines were replaced out of what must be thousands in the recall.
I bought a Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV, years before the recall for cash out of pocket. I have not yet responded to the recall notice and have been wrestling with the decision of weather I should ever bother. I like Resmed much better than Respironics.
This Christmas I will be ready for another new Resmed AC10 and my wife will be ready for her first APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2023, 10:03 PM)bwexler Wrote: I just found this thread for the first time today.
What I find interesting is that only 259 machines were replaced out of what must be thousands in the recall.

That's just info from the limited number of people who've responded to this particular thread poll.

There have already been many, many more machines replaced than simply the ones in this thread.  The larger recall thread has a bit more info, here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...-ONE-USERS
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The poll only allows one answer: I bought a ResMed (I paid 100% for it) after the recall. When Philips got around to my replacements (I have two DreamStations 1), they wanted my Rx. I emailed it. But the doc office had never put their NCI (or whatever that number is that identifies them). So Philips didn't accept it. Meanwhile, several phone conversations had assured me I'd get new DS2's for my recalled DS1. By the time they got around to the option where I could get an auto set machine (which it is anyway...and all of us here know how to set ours!), they sent me a refurbished DS1 very scratched up with many more hours of use on the blower than mine had. I'm still using my ResMed and have very mixed feelings about using that refurbished one. I know they say they replaced all the airways, but I don't trust that. Also, I haven't yet responded to them on my other DS1 so haven't seen what they'd send me as a replacement for it. I'm not happy about this whole process and was hoping after all the aggrevation, they'd send a new DS2 to me as their Rep told me originally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress Report through September 2023.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=54672]

RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress Report through Q4 2023.

Looks like we might be beating a dead horse. We only received 2 votes in the entire 4th quarter of 2023. I think we accomplished what we were looking to do and, perhaps the distributions of replacement units are nearing completion.

So, this may be the last running tally of historical quarterly data - unless we get a surge of new responses. But I think that is doubtful moving forward.

Thank you for all who had voted and participated in this thread. Happy New Year to you all.

Thanks

[Image: attachment.php?aid=57854]

RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Put me down for:
DS1 refurb from Philips: failed on day 1 in June 22
DS2 new 2 months later from Philips - used twice.
Bought ResMed 100% out of pocket.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Canadian Provider Who Will Send ResMed 10 for Blower Replacement Rickyricardo 4 111 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  How to turn Ramp OFF on Philips Dreamstation2 Mariesie 4 117 09-13-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Mariesie
  Airsense 10 replacement: suggestions? newmar 7 294 09-11-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,996 410,954 09-11-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Has Your Philips Dreamstation Humidifier Lid Latch Failed? FLsleeper7 38 19,672 09-09-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: TycBova
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 30 4,708 09-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 67 9,607 09-06-2024, 12:46 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.