Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP - have 3 instances of Cheyne-Stokes
New to CPAP - have 3 instances of Cheyne-Stokes
Hi  - I had a home sleep study done on 1 June and was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnoea. Sleep study attached. 

I have had my cpap machine at home since 11 June, and after trialling several masks, seem to be on the right track with either the F30 or F30i ( although am waiting for the F40 to become available in Australia). My figures have been going down until last week when it was recorded I had 3 Cheyne-Stokes episodes on 26/06, 29/06 and 2/07. 

After reading several threads on here realised to be accurate I needed to have OSCAR downloaded and an SD card. Have purchased a computer and SD card today and will download Oscar later. 

Do I have to format my SD card or can I just insert it into my cpap machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP - have 3 instances of Cheyne-Stokes
Oops - trying again with the attachment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Hi - I managed to load last nights data into Oscar and have attached 3 thumbnails to this post.  Could someone please check this data to see if I had any Cheyne-Stokes incidents last night?  Also whether my settings could be improved? I had trouble falling asleep last night (still awake at 23.39) and had a lot of snoring events.  I think the most I've had since starting CPAP. 

For information I also wear a chinstrap
Post Reply Post Reply
A few questions first.

Do you have a history of heart conditions? 
Any family history of heart conditions?
Are you taking any medications?
Did any CSR show up during your sleep test?

Onto the charts. You have a lot of positional apnoea going on. Positional as in chin-tucking. The clusters of obstructive (OA) and hypopnoea (H) events suggest you are tucking your chin towards your chest and cutting off your airway. A flatter pillow may help, but most showing this use a soft cervical collar. I have attached a chart you can use to measure your chin-to-sternum distance and you will also measure the circumference of your neck. That should help find one that will meet your needs. I personally use a Caldera Releaf and have for years. Any that meet your measurement requirements will help. Read the following link for more details on positional apnoea. 

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Before getting to deeply into the CSR issue, I suggest first dealing with the positional problem. It will give a better idea of what you are dealing with in your therapy.

I also suggest increasing your minimum pressure a bit, which should help with some of the flow limitations. Try the following:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 15
EPR 3 full-time
no ramp

Use that for a few nights with the soft cervical collar and post some charts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - thanks for the quick reply.

No CSR’s recorded on my sleep study and these 3 CSR’s recorded above were after being on CPAP for 15 nights with no incidents.

I had an EEG in Feb prior to a hip replacement and no abnormalities were recorded. I am taking tablets for high blood pressure and high cholesterol and have been taking these for years.

I have ordered a cervical collar but it won’t be here until mid July. I’ll use a flatter pillow till it arrives and I’ll adjust the settings for tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went into the clinician’s menu and selected the following
Mode: CPAP (other choices were Autoset or Autoset for her)
Pressure: set it to 8 (couldn’t see anyway to set max pressure)
EPR: was already set to 3 full time
Ramp time: was already set to off
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to be in APAP mode, not fixed pressure CPAP mode.

Mode APAP
Min pressure 8
Max pressure 15
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp
Post Reply Post Reply
Had another look at settings before I went to bed and put them on

Mode: Autosense for her (APAP)
Min: 8
Max: 15 (figured out how to do it Smile )
EPR: 3 full time
Ramp: off

Will post data after a few nights sleep with these settings
Post Reply Post Reply

Have two nights sleep data with the new settings.  Could someone check my data and see how I'm going, whether I need to change anything etc.  MyAir informed me that I had large leaks over the last two nights although I used a thinner/flatter pillow.  Not sure what to do next  Unsure

Friday nights data:

Saturday nights data:
Post Reply Post Reply
You have several problems going on.  

1st:  leaks.  Way to many IMO.  Here are some tips:  Mask Primer

2nd:  You have positional apnea.  Here are some tips:  

3.  Also, your pressure may be too low.  I would suggest increasing your max pressure slowly.  Do you have EPR turned on?  EPR can help your flow limitations (0.38 at 95% is way too high).  You can start with EPR 1.  Then try EPR 2.  Then EPR 3.  

These should be plenty of things to do to start with.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zoll Remede System for Central/Cheyne Stokes Fixit50 2 154 09-26-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Fixit50
  epr and cheynes stokes Gailofiowa 3 256 09-09-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Oscar Missing Apneas or Cheyne Stokes? Westernsleep 2 201 09-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Is this Cheyne-Stokes? Coberson75 3 274 09-05-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Coberson75
  Cheyne Stokes - Mask/Leak Related? mark.apnea 4 309 08-12-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Cheyne Stokes Respiration? pen123 27 4,220 08-01-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: jaguarman9991
  Could this be Cheyne Stokes? jr991 3 272 07-29-2024, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.