Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR data thoughts? CA dominant.
OSCAR data thoughts? CA dominant.
I'm new to therapy but have been struggling horribly with symptoms for the past 5 years. It is difficult to remember or pin down exactly what I was doing when the symptoms started, but I suspect at least one of the following medications contributed to (or caused) my condition: Viibryd (SSRI), Abilify, Effexor, or opioids. 

Doctors and health care providers have been USELESS and just try to throw more medications at me. I'm a 38 year old male and 150 pounds.

Attached is OSCAR data from last night but I can follow up with data from one of my longest nights of use, 7 hours, if needed. Thank you for any insights.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR data thoughts? CA dominant.
Im not an expert at all, but as you have no replies i recommend reposting this so hopefully someone will see it. Raise your minimum pressure as youre still having obstructives, use your 95 percent pressure as a guide. Forget the centrals for now. Watch many youtube videos of oscar analysis. Work on comfort, sleep position, leaks, and obstructives - this is the foundation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2024, 08:21 AM)BDGold99 Wrote: Im not an expert at all, but as you have no replies i recommend reposting this so hopefully someone will see it. Raise your minimum pressure as youre still having obstructives, use your 95 percent pressure as a guide. Forget the centrals for now. Watch many youtube videos of oscar analysis. Work on comfort, sleep position, leaks, and obstructives - this is the foundation.

no need to repost your "bump" likely was enough. I agree raising the min pressure seems like a good idea. try 7 or 8.

i think the more pressing issue is the near constant 15-20L/min leak tho. that can't help with comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,  

It would help to repost just the following graphs at this moment in time:-
  1. Events
  2. Flow rate
  3. Pressure
  4. Leak rate
  5. Flow limitations
(For detailed graph organising, please see here.) 

To get the graphs, settings and statistics all on one page, you can try these settings (indicated in screen shot below) that are found in the OSCAR preferences tab. 

If necessary, you can adjust these to suit your own screen profile. 

Concerning your centrals apneas, did you have these recorded in your sleep study? 

In OSCAR, central events can sometimes be recorded as false positives, and a bit of increased pressure can help. I agree with an initial increase in minimum pressure of say 8, as a first step, to see where it goes

As indicated above, is important  to have your sleep study info. .

After you have reposted with the full picture, we can look at these issues.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

You are already using 7 as your starting pressure, so you don't need to change that.  Did you have a lot of CAs in your sleep study?  If not, they are treatment-emergent and will lessen as time passes and you adjust more to your therapy.  Also, your leaks are negligible and you don't need to worry about them.  On the chart, they may look high, but they really aren't.  If you look at the left panel you will see that they measure only 0.03%.  Don't give them another thought.  Smile

How are you feeling?  Do you sleep well?  Is your breathing comfortable?  I suggest that you raise your EPR to 3.  That makes breathing more comfortable for most of us and will lower your flow limits as well.  It may cause your CAs to increase a little, but right now getting your flow limits down is more important.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all very much for your replies, I just got the email notification so sorry for the delayed response.
I did my first sleep study in lab but I could not sleep in that environment. The doctor said i slept perfectly, which was not true, and that I was all good, no sleep apnea.
I bought an at home test myself. I'll try to post the results. Might be tomorrow before I get them up. Thank yall again!! I'll work on some of your suggestions and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2024, 10:27 AM)Deborah K. Wrote: How are you feeling?  Do you sleep well?  Is your breathing comfortable?  I suggest that you raise your EPR to 3.  That makes breathing more comfortable for most of us and will lower your flow limits as well.  It may cause your CAs to increase a little, but right now getting your flow limits down is more important.
I feel like absolute crap everyday. Tired, fatigued, lethargic, brain fog, my memory has declined horribly, no libido. 
So I read turn EPR off for centrals and I felt like I couldn't breath, same with it on 1. I put it on 2 and that's comfortable, but 3 is most comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a Lofta at home test so I'm not sure how much it'll help.

• True Sleep Time
4 hrs, 50 min

• Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI)
-Hourly Events 2.2
-Total Events 11

• Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI)
-Hourly Events 4.1
-Total Events 20

• Oxygen Saturation Statistics
O2 Sat. Min, O2 Sat. Mean, O2 Sat. Max,
92, 94, 99
Oxygen S. < 90% < 88% < 85% < 80% < 70%
-Your Sleep Minutes 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
-Oxygen Desaturation 4-9%, 10-20%, >20%
-Your Number of Events 12, 0, 0

• Sleep Pulse Statistics
-Minimum Pulse Rate (BPM) 39
-Average Pulse Rate (BPM) 64
-Maximum Pulse Rate (BPM) 110

• Snoring Statistics
-Decibel Level >40 >50 >60 >70 > 80
-Sleep 
Minutes 232.5, 2.4, 0.9, 0.0, 0.0
-Sleep % 79.5, 0.8, 0.3, 0.0, 0.0

• Body Position Statistics
Position: Back Stomach Rt. Lft.
Sleep (mins) 199.5, 1.0, 7.0, 85.0
Sleep % 68.2, 0.3, 2.4, 29.1
RDI 5.1, N/A, N/A, 2.1
AHI 2.4, N/A, N/A, 2.1
ODI 3.0, N/A, N/A, 1.4

• Sleep Stage Statistics
-Stage, Your Slp.% | Ideal Slp.%
-Light Sleep 63.58% | 55%
-Deep Sleep 18.30% | 20%
-REM Sleep 18.12% | 25%

Post Reply Post Reply
Try increasing your minimum pressure to 9. 

Why?  Well normally, pressure increases will not make centrals disappear, unless they are not really centrals.

I my personal experience, increasing minimum pressure can prise open the airways just that little bit more to improve airflow and clear up any extraneous events, however they are labelled. 

It is also possible the closing the gap (gradient) between minimum  and maximum pressure can  reduce any C02 flushing which may be a culprit for creating actual central apneas.

In addition, this also will hopefully smooth out the jagged pressure changes shown in the second segment of your first graph. 

These variances can cause sleep disturbing arousals. 

We really don't know at this stage, until we actually test this out, to see what happens...
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless the home test included an effort belt, it likely will not be able to detect Central Apnea. So it may not help indicate the if CA were present before CPAP.

If the CA continue, you may want to request a VAuto to give you the ability to reduce flow limits and use Trigger, a timing control, to assist against CA. You might get the doctor to change your therapy to bilevel, and you'll want to request this VAuto. Base the bilevel/VAuto request on comfort that isn't present currently in your therapy. That is unless you can prove CA were existing by showing on the sleep study prior to CPAP. Then you might be able to get another bilevel for specifically treating CA. That one is ASV. Just info for now on what might be available.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Help with Oscar data marcus10 2 40 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 121 5,031 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] (I'm Tired) Please help interpret my Oscar data frolic 2 133 07-31-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] New to CPAP - Please help me understand my OSCAR Data hyrola 3 132 07-31-2024, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster
  First night with data / OSCAR interpretation? goodmorning 3 111 07-30-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: goodmorning
  OSCAR data interpretation. Reggie Larsen 2 96 07-30-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New CPAP/APAP user looking for advice and OSCAR data interpretation sanchez 4 232 07-29-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.