Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar not finding profile
Oscar not finding profile
I installed Oscar on a new Win11 computer, no problem there.

I copied my data folder from the old computer to the Documents folder on the new computer.

When I start Oscar it does not load my profile AND the option to open a profile is greyed out and not selectable. The only choice I get is to create a new profile. 

TIA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar not finding profile
Hi PJohnson!  -  Welcome
That is a Windows 11 security problem.  Here are some tips to see if it corrects your problem.
  1. In Windows 11, use the Privacy page to choose which apps can use a particular feature. Select Start > Settings > Privacy & security. Select an App permission (for example, Location) then choose which apps can access it
    Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f0ed2ee15c

2. Directory Permission Settings
    To specify which users or groups can access a file or folder:
    1. Right-click the file or folder you want to set permissions for and select "Properties".
    2. Navigate to the "Security" tab.
    3. Click on the "Edit" button to change permissions.
    4. In the permissions window, select a user or group from the list. Then, check or uncheck the boxes in the "Permissions for [username]" section to grant or deny specific permissions (like "Read", "Write", etc.).
    5. Tip: Adding the group, "Everybody" and setting it to Full Access for your Documents folder should correct OSCAR access problems.
    6. If the option "Apply to subdirectories" is present, select it.
    7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

3.  User Account Control (UAC):
    UAC is a security feature that can prompt users for permission or an administrator password before allowing certain tasks.

To adjust UAC settings:
    • In the search bar, type "UAC" and click on "Change User Account Control settings".
    • Use the slider to select the desired level of notification/alert. Moving the slider to the top will notify you whenever apps try to make changes, while moving it to the bottom will disable notifications.
    • Click "OK" to save the changes.

Please post your success or failure.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Red,

Thanks for the reply. The access settings you mention are correct (read, write for all folders) I login to my computer as admin. The UAC is also set to notify but not block. I don't get any UAC notification when trying to run Oscar.

I think there is a file such as an .ini file, or maybe profiles.xml(?) that is not telling Oscar where to look for profiles. It's behaving as if it thinks there are no profiles on the computer, hence the reason (maybe) that it does not allow the 'open profile' button to be selected.

Regards,
Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
In that case, go to Help > About OSCAR Select the option on the right side, "Show data folder". This will show you where OSCAR is looking for your data.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resolved. The note above from Red was helpful, thank you!

The main problem was that the new install of version 1.5.3 of Oscar created a data folder with a different name than on my previous computer. I will try to provide enough details so it could help someone else.

I have a clean install of Oscar 1.5.3 on a new Windows 11 computer. NOTE: I disabled OneDrive before I installed ANY applications on my computer. Windows 11 defaults to using OneDrive for the Documents folder (and others) which *may* lead to problems with applications that use these folders for data. I do NOT know if this applies to Oscar.

I copied my OSCAR_Data folder into the Documents folder on the new computer the same as it was on my previous computer. The new install of Oscar had created a similar folder named Oscar in the same location. When I started Oscar (application) it was looking for the folder it had created. The solution was to rename my OSCAR_Data folder to Oscar. Upon opening Oscar, my profile loaded as normal.

Hope this helps someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
How would I do this with only one laptop.

I know very little about programming issues. Have built my own pc in the past but that's a simple hardware skill.

I loaded the new update and a few days laterneverthing stopped displaying.

The data is on the card daily.

My profile at top of screen shows in black only.

Forced data transfer and was 100% seen in oscar but did not go to next phase.

What is a simple senior to do, lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't access profile or welcome screen unless I reinstall? DDMzzz 9 503 06-23-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: DDMzzz
  OSCAR Won't Let Me Add New Machine to Profile JeanneSB 2 361 05-28-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: JeanneSB
  Won't load profile - Sonoma 14.4.4 MacBook Pro breathingwell 2 486 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: kderevan
  Data went to wrong profile Poolboy 4 457 04-20-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Can I delete a profile in Oscar? JUllian 8 2,964 04-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: amarnina
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 561 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  1.5.2 opens without my profile JollyJoker 2 415 03-18-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: JollyJoker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.